4.1

Bloom had gotten ten hours of sleep the night before, but it wasn't like it mattered anyways. Bloom could hardly sleep. Dark bags lingered under her eyes, the result of her writhing magic keeping her awake. It spoke to her as she tried to sleep, begging to be let out. These past two weeks, Bloom had been spending four days a week with the headmistress, who was privately instructing Bloom on handling her magic. She was able to use her magic, summoning fires and lighting fireplaces, but it had done nothing to appease her greedy magic. Even after summoning her magic for hours under Faragonda's supervision, Bloom still couldn't sleep. Not when she had to stay up, wrestling with this hateful flame inside of her, dancing within her core.

Despite the ever present fire within her, Bloom hadn't been able to transform in these past two weeks of lessons. Every time she tried, she felt like her flame was slumbering again- and whether that was because she refused to transform due to her fear of the pain, or because her thread refused to stay steady for Bloom to grasp it- varied lesson to lesson. Today, however, Bloom didn't have a lesson with Faragonda and planned to use it to rest after class and catch up on homework. 

Her good mood was shattered when Stella came in with a bundle of tan fabric and plopped it on Bloom's bed. "These appeared in the living room. Wow Bloom, you look really tired."

Bloom ignored Stella as she held up the tan safari romper and raised an eyebrow at Stella. "Are we traveling to Africa, or something?"

Stella just blinked, as if she had no idea what Bloom was talking about. She shrugged. "They're for the practical."

Bloom's breath caught in her throat. "Wait, what?"

Stella cringed. "Oh, were you not there for the class where he told us? It's our first practical in Professor Palladium's class. We're going to a swamp." Stella grimaced as she began braiding her hair into two dutch braids. "God, this will not be good for my hair. Or my shoes. I hope we don't have to step in too much mud."

Xenia poked her head into the room. "Stella, it's a swamp. I think it's safe to say there's a lot of mud." She disappeared before Stella could bite back a response.

"Guys, I can't do an exam." Bloom whined, "I'm not ready. I can't do anything useful with my magic."

Flora walked out of the bathroom, her hair pulled up into a high ponytail. She was wearing the tan uniform, and Bloom had to admit, she pulled it off quite well. "Bloom, you will be absolutely fine. Seriously, don't stress. You'll have us."

Bloom groaned and fell back onto her bed. She grabbed a pillow and jokingly let out a scream into it. Stella rolled her eyes as Flora laughed.

.

Professor Palladium stood before the class of faeries on the edge of a small lake.

Bloom grimaced at the smell of the swamp and swatted away various bugs that tried to land on her. She was sick of this already, but at least she wasn't having as bad of a time as Stella.

Stella looked like she might throw up. She hated marshes, and swamps, and the bugs and animals that inhabited them. "I'm all for protecting ecosystems, but I don't feel like we really need this one. Why can't we just put a mall in here instead?"

Flora gave her a look. "Swamps have some of the most diverse plant species. I'm excited."

Stella crossed her arms and huffed under her breath, "Probably the only person on the planet excited about going to a swamp."

The professor walked before the faeries, and everyone instantly quieted. He hadn't even needed to clear his throat, do anything to command their respect and attention. His presence alone commanded the respect of everyone in the room.