1.1

"You'll burn for this

"You'll burn for this."

Bree simply snorted and rolled her eyes.

"I'm serious." Bloom continued , "Your mom will kill you." She nudged Bree with her elbow, a forceful shove following closely behind. Bree's laugh echoed across the sidewalk as she stepped to the side, quickly evading her friend's bony elbow.

"Bloom, what's life without a little rebellion? She'll get over it." Bree's curly hair was piled on top of her head, likely to avoid the heat of the dark curls on her neck in the summer sun. A stray curl fell between her large brown eyes, and Bree huffed a breath.

Bloom opened her mouth in retort when a black car honked at them, startling her as it zipped by. "Asshole." Bloom muttered under her breath. She adjusted her crop top and lifted her wine-red hair off the back of her neck as they walked down the sidewalk, the dry desert sun already beating down on her golden skin. It was already so, so hot, and it wasn't even nine a.m. yet.

"I really don't understand the appeal." Bloom pressed, "Are you still  even planning on attending college in the Fall?"

"Probably." Bree said, her sandals clicking softly on the pavement. Her yellow sun dress ruffled in the hot California breeze. "I guess it just depends on whether I'm ready to come back by then."

"How could you not be?"

Bloom was still reeling from the bombshell that Bree had dropped moments earlier: that she booked a one-way ticket to Mexico and fully intended to backpack through Central and South America. Bloom knew better than to try to talk her out of it, or warn her against all of the reasons why this was probably a bad idea. So Bloom had kept her mouth shut. Mostly.

Bree rolled her eyes, not bothering to hide the irritation in her tone. "I know it's hard to believe, but there's a whole world outside of California, Bloom. I intend to see it."

It was something Bloom had heard countless times. Bree's desire to travel unconventionally, to see the world as something other than a tourist. A life full of culture and excitement and adventure. Bloom sometimes already felt that L.A. was too big, but Bree felt trapped here.

Bloom just snorted, and rolled her eyes.

The truth was that Bree had always been Bloom's counter. Always in motion. Bree was always planning and scheming, and apparently organizing solo travels. Bloom didn't bother wondering why Bree didn't think to invite her. She already knew the answer.

It's not like this changed anything. They were already planning on attending different colleges.

The girls stopped at the large glass doors of a coffee shop that already had a line to the door. Bloom grasped the wooden handle and heaved open the large swinging door, following Bree inside the air conditioned space. You really couldn't  get away with not purchasing AC in sunny LA.