Chapter 42

The vast sheet of white that covered the ground of SunClan's camp still mesmerized Rosethorn. The snow seemed to hold a faint orange glow as it caught the light of the setting sun. She was grateful for the sturdy roof of the warriors' den that sheltered her from the bitter chill.

The four apprentices were talking and playing in the snow just outside of their den. Beestripe was talking with Birchpelt and Rainfoot under the Cliffrock, the only spot the snow hadn't reached. Shadowpool, Shinefur, and Duskheart were sharing tongues beside the meager fresh-kill pile—the squirrels caught earlier that day were already gone. Cherryfur was in deep conversation with Forestfire, Hazelfrost, Ebonypelt, and Juniperfur. The rest of the Clan had already retreated to their nests, not wanting to be in the freezing weather for much longer.

Rosethorn sighed, resting her chin on her paws. It was good to see her Clan relaxed and at ease. They hadn't had a moment to feel safe when the rogues were still prowling around. And, although there was no denying the fierce grip leaf-bare had on the forest now, they were still doing better than they ever were before.

"What are you thinking about?" Dawnfire's question caught Rosethorn by surprise; she hadn't even noticed her sister approaching.

"I'm thinking that we're lucky the rogues left when they did," she answered.

"I don't know if left would be the right word to use," Dawnfire muttered. She ducked into the warrior den and settled beside her.

"You think they're still around?" Rosethorn asked.

"I think it doesn't make much sense." Dawnfire shook her paws to rid them of the snow that clogged them. "I mean, they've lived in that Twolegplace for moons. They didn't do this any other time we fought them. And now...they've just vanished. Like all of a sudden, they don't exist anymore. That's weird."

"Maybe killing one of their own made them finally realize who they were up against," Rosethorn remarked ruefully. Her pelt prickled as she recalled the strange taste of Poppy's blood in her mouth.

"I wonder," Dawnfire murmured, "if Minnowtail has something to do with it."

Rosethorn's ears pricked; she hadn't thought of that before. "It wouldn't surprise me. The rogues must be pleased with having a former Clan cat on their side."

"Yeah, it gives them an advantage," Dawnfire growled. "I don't like it. What if she knows something that would...I don't know, give them easy access to the camp, or something?"

"Well, even if she does," Rosethorn replied dryly, "I don't think she knows how to stop SunClan warriors from ripping their pelts on sight." She scoffed. "I'd like to see her try."

The sisters were silent for a while. Then Dawnfire prompted, "So how was your first day as a mentor? How was Acornpaw during the tour?"

"It was great," Rosethorn meowed. "And Acornpaw was great, too. She was always investigating things out of curiosity or fascination. She's really energetic, alert, and eager to learn."

"What does the forest look like all covered in snow? I haven't been out today."

"It's really pretty, like the ground is one giant cloud. But you get soaking wet pretty quickly once the snow melts into your fur."

"I was petrified when I saw the snowflakes coming down," Dawnfire admitted. "I'd heard about snow before, but never expected to see it so quickly. I had no idea what it was!"

"Cherryfur told us to look out for some before we left," Rosethorn replied. "It started right after we caught those three squirrels."

"Nice catches, by the way." Dawnfire glanced toward the fresh-kill pile. "They may have been small, but they're better than nothing."