Chapter 11 (Bakugou) Part 1

Last round. The third and final round. If he wins this. . .

Bakugou grips the bands of the cavalry battle in his sweaty palm, staring down at the numbers. 10 million, 70, and 420. Three bands. Not nearly as many as he had wanted to get. So many people were after him right from the start that his team barely had a chance to earn some points for themselves. But he did it. He got first place.

But. . .

Bakugou looks at Todoroki not too far from him, tightening his grip on the points. Todoroki's hand flashes across his vision, like it's something he's not allowed to forget.

He was so close. So close to snatching everything away in an instant. If Todoroki had been even a second earlier. . . if Bakugou had been a second late, everything would be over right now. He and his team would be walking out of the area as losers.

The only thing that saved him. . . the only reason why he won is because of that buzzer.

Damn it! Bakugou growls in his mind and looks up at the brackets for the one-on-one fights of the final round.

He's the first one up. And his opponent—

"Bakugou."

Bakugou glances in the direction his name is being called then cocks his head with a scowl when he sees who it is. "What do you want extra?" He growls as Uraraka makes her way over.

Uraraka shivers under his glare. "I just wanted to wish you good luck."

"Excuse me?" Bakugou leans over, putting his face in hers. "I don't need it. You should be focusing on your own fight, not your opponent."

"No I know," Uraraka says with a smile. "Just don't go easy on me, okay? Give it all you got."

Bakugou straightens and looks down his nose. Who does she think he is? "I never said I was. Do I look like someone who goes easy?"

Uraraka waives her hands and shakes her head frantically. "No no. No that's not what I meant. I just. . ."

Bakugou scoffs and turns away. "Don't underestimate me. I'm not an idiot."

Bakugou leaves the rest of the contestants still gaping at the brackets and heads to one of the waiting rooms, scanning the crowd above as he goes.

Go easy? Going easy is the last thing he does. He can't "go easy". Not on anyone. He's come too far, too close to hold back.

Deku's here, watching, waiting. And someone else is too. Watching his every move. Making sure he stays in line and stays fighting. Going easy will cost him everything.

He scoffs again, pissed off. What the hell?

She's worked just as hard as everyone else to win this thing. If he starts underestimating people now, he'll never win.

No matter who it is, not matter what, he always gives it his all. Everything he has. That's not going stop now.

Bakugou kicks open the door to the empty waiting room, hands stuffed in his pockets and eyes cast down.

"He?" Someone in the corner on the other side of the room with their head down catches Bakugou's attention. They aren't old, about the same age as him. But they aren't wearing a UA uniform, so they are not participating in the festival. "Hey! What are you doing? This rooms occupied get out of here," he growls.

"Aren't even going to say hi? How rude. Especially since I came all this way." Deku raises his head and runs a hand through his short hair.

"Deku?" Bakugou freezes, unable to believe it. The short hair, all the piercing, the brown eyes. Then there's the faint burn scar on his cheek that wasn't there before. And a small scar runs just above his brow. How long has that been there?