Chapter 2 (Bakugou)

"Why don't you go jump off a bridge or somethin' ya damn nerd!" That is the last thing Bakugou ever says to Midoriya.

And he's regrated it ever since.

When he finally wakes up in the hospital after the sludge villain attack, two officers are waiting by his door.

That is how he finds out.

"Izuku Midoriya, your quirkless friend—"

"Tsk. Don't call that stupid nerd my friend! He's just an annoying little bug," Bakugou interrupts.

"Right well, your classmate has been missing for three days."

Bakugou's eyes widen then narrows. "Just wait. He'll be back. He's probably just sulking in some corner or something."

At first, he's relieved. No more quirkless little Deku following him around like a lost puppy. He'll be back. That's what he keeps thinking.

. . . At first at least.

He always turns around in his seat at school, expecting annoying Deku to be mumbling away. Or caught up watching some hero fight. Or even see him wandering through town crying his eyes out.

Then three days turn to four. Four to five. Then a week. Then a month. . . Then the entrance exams. Suddenly it isn't so simple.

There is no trace of him—there never was. Not one lead. Deku isn't coming back.

When that quirkless wannabe doesn't show up to the UA entrance exam to get in against all odds, Bakugou finally accepts that fact.

But that doesn't exactly make things any easier.

Why'd he say that to him? He wanted to be a hero just like him. But because Deku was quirkless, it was so easy to treat him differently. To bully him for having unachievable dreams in this kind of world. But because of that-Because of him, Deku's mom won't ever see her son again. Because of him. . . Deku is dead.

* * * *

Bakugou knocks on the door of Deku's home, the cool morning air ruffling his UA uniform.

No answer.

Not surprised, he slides away the rock hiding the spare key and lets himself in.

The house is always dark when he gets there. Sheets are draped over all the windows, not the tv nor the computer is ever on, and anything else emitting light has either been broken or covered.

Bakugou feels through the house till he finds the kitchen, broken glass crunching under his feet. Using his quirk, he lights up a small part of the space and starts replacing the broken lightbulbs with the new ones in his bag.

He restocks the fridge and pantry then pulls out the rice and vegetables to make curry.

Without making a sound he takes the overflowing plate and some water to Inku Midoriya's room. He knocks softly on the door like normal then once again lets himself in.

Inku Midoriya lays in her bed unmoving. She doesn't speak to Bakugou, doesn't even look in his direction. It's been a year and she still remains the same. The only times she ever gets up is to shower and use the bathroom. She won't even visit her own sun's grave.

When he finally had mustered up the courage to see Deku's mom the day of his funeral, she was already like this. Lifeless; almost like a ghost. Bakugou remembers when she was so happy, so full of life. But now. . . she can hardly take care of herself. She spends her days locked away in her room. She doesn't eat. She doesn't sleep.