Chapter Five 2/3

"I SUPPOSE I did not see you under your blankets," she said. Oh god, my blankets were on the floor. I had an open closet...where could have I hid?
⠀"Mmhmm," I nodded. Just go along with it, I told myself.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀- - -
⠀After I cleaned up everyone after dinner, I guess it's the newbie's job, I caught up with Mackenzie. She said we always have free time after dinner. Her hair was up in a tight bun and she wore a faded blue dress with a white apron around it. She looked..different. Like the German woman. What was her name? Oh yeah, Ms. Frau.
⠀"Why are you dressed like that?" I asked. I stepped back. Mackenzie's face twitched. Again. And again. And again.
⠀"What's the matter, Chloe?" Her face twitched repeating a pattern. As I stepped back into the hallway, I gulped and shook my head. I almost tripped, but didn't.
⠀Other girls appeared out of their rooms. All of them had their face twitching. Twitch. Twitch. Twitch. With the beat of the silent clock as I switched seconds.
⠀I ran down the spiral staircase. Each step I took, I didn't recognize myself. My feet wobbled. I kept tripping as the eleven other girls followed me. I managed to get to the first floor and open the front door. I remember Mackenzie telling me no one has escaped. That must make me the first one.