Chapter 19: North Star

You and Kirumi walked to the dining hall and she looked at you with a warm smile.
"What do you want to bake?" She asked.
"This might be kind of embarrassing but I want to make something for Kaito." You admitted trying to hide your blush and Kirumi's grin grew even wider.
"Oh is it because you like Kaito?" Kirumi asked a glimmer of mischief was in her eyes.
"Wh-What? N-N-No." You stammered not meeting her gaze.
"Well I'll help but maybe it would mean something more if I only just gave instructions." Kirumi said. "What do you want to bake?"
"What about chocolate chip cookies?" You suggested.
"That would be great. I'm sure Kaito will love it." Kirumi reassured and you began to bake with Kirumi's instructions. Putting in flour and eggs as well as love and baking it until it was golden brown you baked chocolate chip cookies.
"Oh and look they're in a heart shape I didn't even instruct you to do that." Kirumi chuckled looking at the cookies.
"O-Oh I didn't even realize." You embarrassedly stammered staring at the heart shaped cookies. Kirumi then began to package them in a container and handed it to you and you placed it in your backpack.
"Thank you so much Kirumi!" You smiled and gave her a quick hug.
"No need to thank me Y/N. I enjoyed spending time with you and it looks like you did an amazing job on these cookies." Kirumi complimented.
"Let's hope these taste as good as they look." You laughed.
"I'm sure they will. But there's still free time left who are you going to spend it with?" Kirumi questioned.
"I don't know maybe Maki it would be cool to get to know her." You answered still unsure.
"Strange I would imagine you, Kokichi, and Miu to be Three of a Kind. But...maybe I'm wrong and you and Maki could be best friends." Kirumi said with a small frown  and then walked away. You watched as she walked away and you were confused by what she meant but shrugging it off you went to go see Maki.  When you arrived you saw her playing with her hair in front of her Ultimate Lab.

    "Hey Maki!" You smiled and waved and she looked at you with a surprised face.
"I thought you went to go hang out with Miu and Kokichi." Maki admitted and sat down next to her in front of her door.
"Of course not I wouldn't miss guarding your Ultimate Lab for anything." You laughed and a small smile appeared on her face.
"Yeah thanks for coming Kokichi can be very...persistent it's annoying." Maki sighed in annoyance.
"Yeah I can definitely see that. He seems to be pretty nosy." You nodded.  "How did you become the Ultimate Child Caregiver?"
Her red eyes stared into yours and she had a weird vibe and then sighed. "I didn't do anything special at all. We all lived under the roof we all helped each other out at the orphanage. We'd help the younger kids learn how to do everything."
"Oh! That sounds really interesting and different than what I experienced. Did you guys have any cell phones or video games?" You asked.
"No. Once you got into high school you could start earning your own money. We didn't have much of an allowance many of our toys were old. Some of the kids wanted newer games and that got pretty problematic." Maki sighed remembering everything.
"Maybe after we get out I can go to the orphanage and donate some toys and some kid friendly lab experiments!" You beamed and she gave you a weird look.
"You really believe we're going to get out of here?" Maki asked.
"I'm hopeful that we will. Sure nothing is certain and anything could change but being sad and worrying if someone I care about or myself will die won't do anything." You explained to her.
"We need people like you in the world but I'm sure the optimism will get annoying eventually." Maki stated.
"You're pretty straightforward well I hope I don't annoy you too much." You giggled.
"You're fine...at least for now." Maki replied with a barely noticeable grin.
"Well we're friends Maki and I hope we'll be friends for a long time." You cheerfully beamed and the two of you continued talking until it was the nighttime announcement.

"That's the announcement." Maki sighed standing up and you stood up as well.
"I think I'm going to go look for Kaito. I have a gift for him." You smiled thinking about the cookies.
"Oh what did you get him?" Maki asked.
"I baked him chocolate chip cookies." You smiled.
"I never would imagine you of all people would do something like that. But I'm sure he'll like them." Maki smiled and patted your shoulder and walked away.
"I hope so." You muttered and you walked outside to the courtyard and you looked up staring at the night sky. Thinking about everything you've been through so far.
"The sky is vast right? I often stare at it and think about everything. But remember my North Star if you keep reaching for the star one day you'll become a star." Kaito smiled walking next to you and staring into your E/C eyes.
"Kaito!" You exclaimed not expecting him to be there. "Can I ask why you call me that?"
Kaito then had a deep blush appear on his face and he started scratching his head. "It's simple really while the universe spins around you remain there shining bright and giving me direction without you I'm directionless."
  "K-Kaito..." You blushed looking at him.
"Listen Y/N I got something to tell you." Kaito stated his face getting ever redder.
"Wh-What is it?" You stuttered a bit hopeful that he felt the same way as you."
"I don't think I'm going to space anytime soon." Kaito admitted.
"Huh?! Why not?!" You questioned and instantly all that hope was gone.

"Because I don't want to leave you. At night instead of dreaming about space I've been dreaming about you...sure I still want to go to space but I want to stay here with you for a bit longer when I close my eyes all the stars align and you're by my side. When they say make a wish  my wish is always that you'll feel the same way about me because you're my North Star and you might shine for someone else but..." Kaito began to profess and then shook his head. "I had a whole preamble prepared but I think this would be easier." Kaito then held the back of your head and pushed you to the ground. You looked at him a blushing mess and he was blushing too and he quickly placed his lips on yours. The second he did it felt as if all the stars in the sky were dancing across your lips.  You quickly kissed back and entangled your fingers in his hair and he held you tighter and closer. The kiss felt as if you both were seeking closeness of one breath and sharing one passionate moment.

As you both pulled away you looked at him and he had a huge smirk on his face. His forehead touched yours and he got close to your ear.
"So does this mean we're together?" He whispered.
"Of course." You replied and with a huge grin and he pulled you back into a passionate kiss that felt as if time stopped.
  "Oh my gosh!" A voice shrieked. You and Kaito both froze your eyes wide and you looked over to see Shuichi covering his eyes and Kokichi smirking.
"Kaito you sly dog. Looks like you got to Y/N first I'm shocked I thought Gonta had a better chance than you." Kokichi smirked slowly clapping.
"Kokichi!" Kaito yelled.
"I'm sorry Y-Y-Y/N and K-K-Kaito!" Shuichi stuttered completely embarrassed.
"Next time you two want to be so passionate go shut a door." Kokichi stated and walked away without another word.
"Again I'm sorry! So sorry!" Shuichi apologized and scurried off. You looked at Kaito who was still holding you and you both started to laugh.
"That would only happen to us right?" Kaito chuckled.
"You're right. But I got you a gift." You smiled and pulled out the heart shaped cookies. Kaito's eyes widened and a huge grin appeared on his face.
"Y/N did you make these?" Kaito grinned.
"Yep!" You proudly replied.
"You're the best girlfriend ever! I actually got you a gift as well." Kaito beamed and then pulled out a heart necklace with a space design on it.
"Kaito its lovely!" You blushed looking at it.
"I thought that this would be great to let others know that you're the proud girlfriend of Kaito Momota Luminary of the Stars!" Kaito exclaimed as he put the necklace on you.
"And how will people know you're the proud girlfriend of the Ultimate Chemist?" You playfully asked.
"I already thought of that." Kaito replied and showed you the serotonin molecule necklace around his neck. "Isn't it perfect?"
"It is perfect." You smiled and embraced him.  After awhile of hugging you you and Kaito stood up.
"I could stay with you forever but I think we need to go to bed." Kaito said holding your hand.
"Yeah we do but I'll see you tomorrow." You smiled and kissed his cheek causing him to laugh.
"Of course! Come on I'll walk you to your room!" Kaito exclaimed and the two of you walked to your dorm and parted ways. When you got inside you laid on the bed with a huge grin on your face thinking about everything and you immediately got butterflies in your stomach.