Chapter 37 - Patience

Start from the beginning

"Sorry," I said, nearly at a whisper.

"There's nothing to say sorry for. I know why you always want to push yourself to go further, but it's perfectly okay to know your limits." I nodded, trying my hardset to believe what he was saying. "Don't try moving it until Race is back tonight, okay? Let yourself rest." He then stood up, kissing me on the top of the head. "I'll be back tonight. I love you." I stayed quiet as he walked for the door, taking a deep breath.

"Jack?" I said right before he left, making him stop to look at me. "I love you too." He smiled at me, closing the door gently.

I spent the day working on walking every now and then, making sure to not go too far and make myself collapse like yesterday. In between each attempt, I'd write down how many steps I went in my journal, trying to go further each time, and getting a little upset if I didn't. I was trying to fight myself to stay awake, but around two o'clock I couldn't anymore, and I fell asleep.

I woke up from some fellas being loud as they got back from selling, startling me just a little. I sat up, rubbing my eyes with my right hand. Jack got home minutes later, smiling at me as he opened the door.

"Hey!" He said, sitting down next to me on the bed. "How was your day?"

"It was fine, I just worked on walking." I handed him my journal, showing him the logs of how many steps I had gone. 

"That's good," he said, noticing on the page next to it that I had written 'You are nothing.' in shaky handwriting. "What's this?" He asked, looking up at me.

"I had a bad dream yesterday, I went to write about it but that's all I could get out." I explained, feeling him get more worried than he already was. 

"What happened in the dream?"

"It was just this weird voice saying that I was nothing over and over again." He stared at me for a second, thinking.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He finally asked, moving just a little closer to me.

"I dunno, I kinda forgot about it." He closed the journal and set it next to him, looking back at me. 

"Talk to me next time, okay?" I nodded, smiling at him. "Did you try moving your hand?"

"No, I did as you said." I teased, making him chuckle. 

"Good. Race told me to get him whenever you're ready to try again." I sighed, wanting to get it over with.

"He can come now," I said, and Jack smiled, standing up.

"I'll be right back. If you're up to it, we could always play cards tonight," Jack offered, and I nodded again.

"Sure, that'd be nice." 

It wasn't long before Jack returned with Race, and just as he had this morning he sat down on the bed, and Jack stood next to me. I put my hands out, palms up, waiting for Race's instructions.

"I'm gonna take the wrap off before we do this. I have to rewrap it anyways, since it's gotten looser from you moving it, alright?" I tensed up, worried how badly it would hurt. "Crutchie, if you don't want me to, you can tell me. I'm not gonna do anything you ain't okay with." I shook my head, feeling Jack's eyes on me as he waited for a response.

"It's okay, do whatever you need."

"Okay. Jack, can you sit behind him in case it hurts a lot?" Jack nodded and put his right hand out, allowing me to take it and hold it tight. He sat down behind me as Race had asked, rubbing my back gently with his other hand. "Remember, this part doesn't usually hurt too bad. Ready?" I nodded, and Race began. As we had thought, it didn't hurt too bad, and was over before we knew it. "Okay, now put your hands palm up again." I let go of Jack's hand, doing as Race had said.