Rites of Passage

||| 22 years before |||

Before Randi Lothbrok was even born. Her father, Ragnar Lothbrok, a simple farmer, a husband to Lagertha, and father of two wonderful young children, Bjorn and Gyda, had found a way to navigate the sea. From a traveler that he did not know, yet he trusted him. Why wouldn't he? This gave him a chance to explore. A chance to live. A chance to make his dream come true. Of course he took it.

But sometimes he wished he didn't.

It changed his life.

Before, he never knew that there were other people. That there were other civilizations. Kingdoms, or villages. Until he went against his Earl's order, and sailed west. As far as he could. Through storms, and fogs. Until he reached Land. There, at the beach, were people. Different from him and his men that had accompanied him. Much different. 

Black curly hair, and dark skin. They dressed simply, as they did have very warm weather. The women wore dresses that barely covered them, while the men wore a simple tunic, with pants. Most of the people did not even have shoes on. They all looked unhappy, and sick from afar as the Vikings looked at them. 

When they attacked, the men and women could not even defend themselves. All they could do was cover their heads and await their imminent death. And it certainly came. But Ragnar felt pity for one of the women who cradled her daughter in her arms. She was whispering something he could not understand, nor did he care to.

"Hand over the child, we will not hurt her", he tried to persuade, yet the woman only held her daughter closer. The little babe had begun to cry, and that only irritated the other Vikings. He knew that soon, they would kill the mother and daughter. He had to save the little child. Even if that meant it would grow up in slavery. 

He took the girl into his arms forcefully from the mother, who had fallen to her knees, begging through her tears and sobs. He couldn't understand her, but he knew well enough that she was most likely begging him to stop.

"We will not kill this woman or child", ordered Ragnar, much to the disappointment and uproar from his men. Rollo came closer, bewildered at his brother's actions.

"Brother, have you lost your mind?", he seethed through his clenched teeth. 

"We must find out where we are

"We must find out where we are. And what they know about the rest of the world, brother. They are of more use to us alive than dead. Take her to the ships, and if one of you touches her, I will rip the lungs out of you", he threatened, and the Vikings knew he meant it. Ragnar never joked about things like those.

The voyage back home, was full of laughter and happiness. Except from the woman and her child. Ragnar's protection kept them alive but for how long? Earl Haraldson, would certainly not be happy about their presence. Or the fact that there was a joking amount of treasure they were bringing back. But they had something worth more than treasure, and the gold of these new people. They had knowledge. Even if it was little.

"What is your name, woman?", asked Ragnar, bending down in front of the shivering female that clutched her baby as if one of the Viking men would snatch the babe to eat it alive.

"...Morsi", she uttered out through her blue lips. The air and waves were cold, not to mention that the stare of the Vikings did not help.

"And the name of your baby?", asked Ragnar, trying hopelessly to make the woman more comfortable around him.

"Missandei", she uttered out finally after a long moment.

"Beautiful names", said Ragnar with a smile, trying to look more friendly, but it backfired as Morsi only took the smile as threatening. 

"What d-do you want from us?", asked Morsi, the fear evident in her voice. Who wouldn't be afraid of getting captured by 6-feet tall men, with long beards, and sharp axes?

"We want to know where you are from", replied Rollo, bending down next to his brother. The woman trying to scooch away, but her back was already flat against the post of the boat, nowhere for her to go.

"Naath. That was the Island of Naath", she replied quickly, her voice like a mouse. She just wanted to go home.

"Naath? What kind of name is that?", asked Floki annoyed. "Stupid", he whispered after Ragnar send him a warning look.

"Are there more places like those? Like your Naath?", asked Ragnar eagerly, wanting to know more.

"Y-yes. Many more", replied Morsi reluctantly, but she was afraid to lie to these men. Who knew what they did to women. 

"What are they called? What are they like? Who lives there?", asked Ragnar, sitting down. All the men straightened themselves, as if also listening in to the conversation.

"The Island of Naath is small compared to the other places", explained Morsi, trying to choose her words right. "There are two main continents, Essos and Westeros. The Narrow Sea divides them. In Essos, there are cities like Braavos, Pentos, Volantis, Qarth and many more. There is the Dothraki Sea and the Red Waste".

"The Red Waste? The Dothraki Sea? What kind of language are you speaking, woman?", asked Floki, clearly annoyed. He did not like what this was turning into. He did not think that the gods would approve of this. New people, meant that there could be new gods, just as Ragnar said. Floki did not like that.

"In Westeros, there are 7 different Kingdoms. The North, the Warden is Lord Eddard of House Stark. West, who's Warden is Lord Tywin of House Lannister. The Reach, the Warden is Lord Mace of House Tyrell. The Vale, with the Warden named Lord Jon of House Arryn. The Storm Land's which are ruled by Lord Robert of House Baratheon. Riverlands, and there is Dorne as well, but I am unsure of who rules it now. There is also the capital city, King's Landing. Where the King and his family are. He rules over all of the Seven Kingdoms. King Aerys Targaryen, second of his name, King of the Andals and the First Men. His wife, Queen Rhaella, and his two sons, Prince Rhaegar, and Prince Viserys.", explained the simple woman. She clearly did not know everything, yet she was more educated than most in her position in Naath. 

Ragnar listened with full attention and interest while everyone's eyes widened with the new information. They had never been alone in this world. There were Kingdoms, and Wardens, and King's and Queen's, while they lived in their simple and humble village, fighting small quarrels between the Easters villages. 

"Right now, Lord Robert is leading a rebellion against King Aerys. Things will soon change, either we will have a new Lord of the Stormlands, or a new King", added Morsi after a moment.

"Rebellion? Why would he lead a rebellion?", asked Ragnar confused. Who would oppose their King? Then again, he opposed his Earl. 

"King Aerys is the most vile and violent man you will ever know. He burns people alive. And laughs as they fall. They say he is mad. That he does not let anyone touch him, that his hair has grown so long, and his nails are already touching the ground. He is paranoid, thinking everyone is out to kill him. King Aerys burned Lord Eddard's father and brother alive when they came to demand that he release Lady Lyanna from wherever Prince Rhaegar took her.", explained Morsi with little hesitation. She felt a bit more comfortable now that the men were no longer looking at her but at their leader, whom she still did not know what to call, or what to make of.

Ragnar knew that there was much more to the world that Earl Haraldson let them explore.

But he never guessed this much.