Mara shrugged. "Homeworld has nothing against the Deltarrans. After all, they protected them for a long time before the Miahns came into being. And I think," she added with a grin, "that they would rather have Nllata under their influence than under mine."

"Way to go, Mara!" Scotty said. "Nllata'll love bein' a Wayfarer. She was made for it."

Sabrina was still looking puzzled. Mara asked, "What is it, Sabrina?"

"It still seems lopsided to me, Mara. For you to restrict your activities to the Realm—"

"Sabrina, be realistic. Have I time to go roaming further than that?"

"Not now, but.... Oh, come on, Mara. What did you get from them that made you agree to that?"

Mara sighed. "I had to. They were insisting on a promise that I would never have Tirqwin's children. I cannot make such a promise; we all know that. I must have an Heir, and an Inheritor."

"So you got them to drop that in return for staying inside Realm space," Sabrina said. "And what conditions did they place on your putative children?"

Mara smiled wryly. "You got to know them well, didn't you, Sabrina? Primarily they were insistent that none of my children ever be able to claim citizenship on Homeworld, or be eligible for the Wayfarer Candidacy Program—unless, of course, I were to have a child with such obvious talents in that direction that I chose to give him or her up to House Yanklozhquar, relinquishing all parental rights. I cannot imagine myself ever doing so, for any reason. I have also had to promise never to pressure Tirqwin to put any duty to me or my children above his duty as a Wayfarer. Also," she sighed, "I am bound to notify Homeworld of any genetic mutation that displays itself in any children I have with Tirqwin."

"They pretty well covered all bases, didn't they?" Scotty remarked.

"But now there will be peace," Mara said. "No more living in anxiety and fear. No more midnight attacks. We can invite others to our world to trade in safety."

Sabrina grinned. "Better renegotiate with Owryden."

"Ah, that was a clever clause!" Mara agreed, her eyes twinkling. "You are an excellent negotiator, Sabrina. Homeworld should be grateful it had to deal with me and not you on this treaty!"

"I think they've had more than enough of me. Particularly Asnefer."

"Ah," Mara said, "but Lady Chavadanafra is rather fond of you. Although I can never be considered part of House Yanklozhquar, Lady Chavadanafra asked me to tell you that, since Tirqwin considers you under his protection, you may apply to her for help if it ever becomes necessary." Her expression became wry again. "You will have more consideration from them than Tirqwin's own children ever will."

"Time changes things, Mara," Sabrina said. "As they get used to the new status quo, they might change their minds about some things. Especially as talented as your and Tirqwin's children are bound to be!"

Scotty began to laugh. "Geez, Rina, maybe we better stay on Earth after all! I don't wanna be godfather to that lot!"

"Stay on Earth?" Mara said, frowning.

"We thought we'd go home to finish recovering," Sabrina explained. "I...feel I need to. For a little while."

"I suppose..." Mara said. "But I was so hoping to have you home for the signing, and later my coronation."

"You can't hold those up for us," Scotty said. "They're important."

"It seems very unfair, when you were both so important to making it all happen," Mara complained.