Chapter Fourteen

The helicopter flew through the sky. I carefully looked over the side and saw the desert. Buildings were ruined, falling apart, some were even on fire. I looked back at the maze. The white snow and the ice. I suddenly felt sick and had to rest my head against the seat. I closed my eyes and fell asleep.

A while later I was awoken by one of the men yelling at me. I hopped out of the helicopter and followed Sonya and Harriet towards the building ahead. We made it in, followed by the men. The door shut behind us and we looked around.

We were all covered in sweat from the thick clothes in the hot area. Almost perfectly in sync, we all pulled off our jackets and thick pants, revealing the clothes we were sent up in.

I was in my red tank-top and shorts. Everyone else was wearing either a shirt and pants, or a tank-top and shorts.

A door opened and a man walked in. Ratman. That's all I could think of. He looks like a rat.

"Follow me ladies... and boy." The man spoke.

He turned around and started walking through the hallways. We followed him until we all stopped.

"Let's do something about that smell. Ladies, showers are on the left. Boy, on the right." The man spoke.

"Hey wait! What's your name?" I asked him.

He turned around and slightly froze at seeing me. "Janson." He spoke, recovering.

The girls and I walked to the showers and washed. Afterward, we were all given clean clothes to change into. I kept my tank-top and shorts in my bag, just to be safe. I was given a blue tank top and beige shorts. I put them on and dried my hair. I followed the girls out of the bathroom and into the testing room.

We were each given a different doctor, the majority of the doctors being female. The doctors took samples from each of us. Blood, saliva, and piss were taken from each of us.

They had me and Miyoko run on treadmills to see how fast we could go, and for how long. We both lasted thirty minutes on the top speed before they made us stop.

After all the tests, I was taken by a man to an interrogation room.

I sat in a chair in front of a table. The door opened and Ratman came into the room. He sat in the chair across from me and pulled out a file.

"Astrid, right?" He confirmed.

I nodded hesitantly.

"I don't know if you remember, but you used to work with us. You and your brother."

"I don't remember that. Brother? Who?"

"You also have a sister. Their names are Thomas and Jordyn."

"I don't remember any of this."

I was lying. I remember the maze from before. Not the names of everyone, but I faintly remember what they look like. The boy he was talking about, Thomas. I only remember the name, not what he looks like or anything.

"Well, we need to know anything you do remember." The man smiled.

"I only remember my name. Astrid. But that's it." I lied once again.

He smiled, a fake smile of course, and stood up.

"Well then, you're free to join the others."

"Others?" I mumbled.

He was right. Definitely others.

I walked into a cafeteria and saw the girls and Aris. I walked over and sat by them.