For when you leave

Waves are crashing against my eyelids as I rest them on my soft pillow. 

The light seeps through my curtains and all I want is the darkness to stay but the sun rises just like it does every day. 

The funny thing about life is that it moves forward no matter how much you want it to stop. 

I have so much fear about everything. 

Do you love me, will I be okay being on my own, will I be okay? 

Your name flashes across the screen and for a second I have a glimmer of hope that we'll be okay and that you're going to come home and wrap your strong arm around me and grab my face in the cute way that you do. 

I check my phone and no name is staring back at the screen at me. 

I should have changed my screensaver because the quote you sent me after our first date is staring me in the face. 

The numbers 11:11 flash across the screen and I laugh at the screen knowing that no set of repeating numbers can make me feel alright. 

And for the day that you do leave, I hope that she'll love you better than I ever could have. I hope she knows your favorite spots within the quiet streets of the city and will listen to your heartbeat for hours just to fall asleep. I hope she'll appreciate the tiny dimple that appears only when you smile and the look in your eyes when she shines in the sunlight of the window. 

I hope you take care of her like you took care of me.