Namjoon ♡ Hanahaki [request]

Start from the beginning

In the end, Namjoon ended up winning. He made sure you knew how happy he was, as he did a celebratory dance, practically rubbing it in your face. It didn't bother you. You knew it was all in good fun.
"Alright, alright. You win." You chuckled. "What now?"
Namjoon paused for a moment, that familiar tightness in his chest making an appearance. He wanted to play more games with you, but he remembered the promise he made about taking you to the field again.
"Actually, I wanted to—" He stopped for a moment, clearing his throat. "Sorry. I wanted to—" He stopped again, clearing his throat, but this time it was more of a cough. This caused you to look up at him. His expression seemed a little worried, panicked even.
He let out a harsh cough, clamping his hand over his mouth quickly.
"Namjoon?" You asked, tentatively. "Are you alright?"
He nodded, abruptly coming to his feet. Before you could say another word, he was hurrying down the hallway towards the bathroom. You heard him gasping for air between each cough, hacking and maybe even gagging; it worried you immensely. You'd considered calling an ambulance.
You stood up, stepping carefully down the hall, your worry growing as you got closer. You came to a stop just outside the bathroom door.
"Namjoon?" You called softly.
"Y/n!" His voiced was strained. "I-I'm fine. You don't need to worry."
He then began croaking more, it sounded like he was actually coughing something up.
Without thinking another moment, you stepped into the bathroom. Namjoon's head shot up, his eyes wide with fear. It felt like your heart dropped down to your feet when you saw him. He was situated on the bathroom floor in front of the toilet, blood smeared across his lips. The flower petals mixed with blood spatter on the toilet seat didn't go unnoticed by you.
"Namjoon." You croaked, stumbling forward, landing on the tile floor beside him.
You knew based on the evidence in the bathroom what Namjoon had. You've never known anyone who has had it, but you've heard of it. It's a horrible disease that overtakes the lungs of a person when they're not loved back—a tragic illness caused by unrequited love.
"Namjoon." You uttered his name again, your voice faltering a bit. "You..." You trailed off, not able to find the words.

Your mind was spinning over the fact that Namjoon liked you and you had no idea. Not only that, but he's had the Hanahaki disease for... well, you didn't know how long.

You wrapped your arms around him as tears pricked your eyes, welling up before you could try and hold them back.
"Y/n." Namjoon whispered.
You pulled away, grabbing toilet paper and wiping his mouth.
"Namjoon." You cried, salty tears streaming down your face, soaking your cheeks.
"You don't have to do this." He spoke.
"I want to." You replied.
You tossed the bloodied tissue into the trash, glancing at him, a frown on your face.
Namjoon didn't like seeing that frown. In fact, he'd rather not see it at all. He hated that you found him like this, but perhaps it was for the best that you knew.
"It's okay." He tried to reassure you, his voice coming out weaker than he intended.
"No it's not. Why didn't you tell me?"
"Are you kidding?" He chuckled. "Because you would have spent all your time worrying about me."
"I wish you would have said something."
"I don't."
"You idiot." You sobbed. "Why didn't you just get the surgery?"
"And lose the feelings I had for you? Not a chance."
You dropped your head on his chest, your heard shattering.
"Stupid." You muttered.
Namjoon brought his hand up to your hair.
"It's okay, Y/n. I'd rather die like this than live without loving you."
That did it. That broke you.
Idiot.
He would rather die loving you than be able to live and be friends with you for the rest of your lives?
Idiot.
The tears began flowing even faster than they already were, you couldn't bear it anymore.
"You can't die. You—" You paused, your voice cracking. "You promised we would go back to the field."
"That's actually where I wanted to take you today." He admitted.
You looked up at him with red-rimmed eyes.
"Let's go. Right now."
He smiled softly, his eyes glossed over with tears. "Okay."
You hurriedly helped to stand him up, bringing him into the living room where you grabbed your car keys, making haste as you did so. You weren't sure how much longer you had with Namjoon, but you wanted to make sure every minute was worth it.