Jungkook ♡ Bunny Hybrid AU [request]

Requested by @_euphorickook_

I stepped into the adoption center, my fingers fiddling nervously with the frayed edge of my sleeve. Today is the day I adopt my first hybrid. I've been considering it for a while, weighing the pros and cons. I was excited about it, but now the nerves are starting to settle in.
The adoption center was much more colorful and warm than I thought it would be. I pictured it being like one of those creepy places where everything is white. Instead, there's succulents sitting on waiting room tables, ferns hanging from the ceiling, and a wall of photos depicting images of adoption center staff and hybrids that had recently been adopted. They all looked happy.
I've always felt bad for hybrids. They're people just like us. Just because they have animal attributes doesn't make them less of a human. It's reassuring to know that they're being treated much better than they used to.

"Excuse me." A woman's voice cut into my thoughts.
"Yes?" I hummed, walking to the front desk where two ladies sat.
"Can I help you with anything?" The lady on the left asked.
"Yes. I'm here to adopt."
"Oh, wonderful. Name, please."
"Y/n L/n."
"Ah. You called a few days ago. We did a background check on you, correct?"
"Yes." I nodded.
"Can I see your ID?"
"Of course." I reached around, digging in my bag and fishing out my ID.
I handed it over to the lady who gave it a brief glance before pulling out a form.
"Please fill this out and just bring it back up here when you're finished."

I took the form over to the waiting area and began filling it out. It asked questions such as what my income was and if I've previously owned a hybrid or hybrid(s). There was quite a few things that needed to be filled out. I can't blame them for that, though. This is a person we're talking about here, so of course the form has lots of specific questions. I can definitely understand that the staff at the adoption center wants to make sure the hybrids are going to good homes. I even had to get a background check done a few days prior to coming here.
I signed my signature along the line at the bottom of the form, my heart jumping as I did so. I stood up from my seat and made my way back to the front desk, handing the clipboard to the lady. She looked over the form, nodding once she finished reviewing it.
"I can take her back there." The other woman at the front desk offered.
"You can follow her."
I thanked the woman who helped me and followed the other one through a doorway on the right side of the desk. After stepping past the threshold, I was met with a rather large hallway, doors lining both sides. Outside each door was a piece of paper showing a picture of the hybrid inside and some general information about them. All of the doors had a small square window on them for possible adopters to look inside.
"What kind of hybrid were you thinking of adopting?" The lady asked me as we moved further down the hallway.
"Well, I would like someone who's docile and easy to get along with. I've heard some breeds of hybrids are a bit more reserved and tough."
"They can be, but that's usually because they've gone through something traumatic." She informed me.
"Ah." I nodded.
"I have someone in mind for you." She spoke up. "Follow me."
I trailed behind her, stopping when she did. She stepped aside, gesturing for me to look inside the room. I took a step forward, hesitantly glancing through the viewing window. The room inside was extremely nice. There wasn't nots of furniture, just a bed, nightstand, desk, and dresser. It looked almost like a hotel room.
My eyes trailed over to a lump on the bed. A boy was curled up, facing the wall. I couldn't see his face, or anything, really.
"That's Jungkook. He's a bunny hybrid. We brought him here four months ago."
"Four months?" I questioned softly.
"Yes. Usually, our hybrids get adopted rather quickly. However, Jungkook has been here longer than we thought he'd be."
"Is there something wrong with him?"
"No." She shook her head. "He's just a bit shy. We assume his last owner was pretty horrible."
"Oh." I frowned, thinking about what he might've had to endure.
"Do you want to go see him? Maybe talk a bit and see if you'd like to take him home?"
I nodded, watching as she slid a keycard through the electronic device on the door handle.
"Jungkook." She called out softly.
He lifted his head and looked over his shoulder at the two of us.
"This is Y/n. She wanted to come meet you." She informed him in a gentle voice before gesturing for me to go ahead.
I stepped into the room, glancing back at her.
"I'll check back in a few minutes, okay?"
I nodded before advancing towards Jungkook.
He sat up, turning towards me, his black bunny ears sticking straight up.
He had long, dark hair and the most beautiful round eyes. His outfit consisted of an oversized black long sleeved shirt, baggy black sweatpants and white socks.
He watched almost apprehensively as I walked over to him, stopping a few inches away from his bed.
"Hi." I spoke up, making sure to keep my tone gentle. "I'm Y/n."
He looked me up and down, clearly feeling a bit nervous.
"I'll stand right here." I told him, not wanting to overstep my bounds.
He seemed okay with that.
"Um." I looked around, not sure what to say. "You have a nice room."
"Mhm." He nodded.
"What's it like around here? Do you like it?"
"It's okay." He muttered, giving a partial shrug.
"Sorry. That was a stupid question. How about I tell you a little about me?"
He looked at me with a blank expression, which I could only assume was his way of telling me to continue.
"Okay, well I live in a two bedroom, one bathroom apartment. It's decently sized, rent is pretty decent too. That's not really important, though. Anyway, I've never owned a hybrid before, but my place was feeling a bit empty and I felt like I could use some company. I was a bit nervous about coming here." I chuckled. "I wasn't sure what to expect, but this place is really nice. Much nicer than I expected."
Before I knew it, I was mindlessly rambling to him about why I decided to come here.
"I'm not even sure what kind of hybrid I want. I told the lady that I wanted someone calm and she suggested you."
I hadn't even realized that Jungkook was watching me intently, listening to every word I was saying the whole time.
"Ah." I dropped my head into my palm. "I'm sorry. I just rambled a lot."
I heard a small noise and looked up to see that Jungkook was smiling a bit, a short chuckle escaping lips. I laughed a bit, pushing my hair out of my face.
"Anyway, I've talked enough. What about you? Is there anything you'd like to share about yourself?" I inquired.
He pursed his lips for a moment before opening his mouth to speak.
"I-"
Jungkook was cut off as the door to his room opened and the lady who helped me earlier stepped in.
"Hi. Are you ready?" She asked.
"Not quite." I held a finger up, turning back to Jungkook. "What were you gonna say?"
He shook his head, looking down at his lap.
"Oh." I was a bit disappointed he got shy and didn't want to finish what he was saying.
I turned back to the lady. "I guess I'm ready, then."
I headed back towards the entrance, stopping for a moment.
"It was nice meeting you, Jungkook." I smiled.
He watched me with an almost melancholic expression. It's as if he was upset to see me leave.
I gave a small wave to him before stepping out into the hallway with the woman. She closed the door and turned to me.
"So, what did you think?"
I glanced through the window, a small smile on my face. "I like him."
"You do?" The lady asked in clear disbelief.
"Yeah." I confirmed.
"Did he talk to you?"
"Not really. He only said a couple words."
"But, you're sure you wanna take him home with you. You haven't met any of the other hybrids here."
"I don't need to."
The lady seemed surprised by my rather quick response.
"Okay, then." She grinned. "I'll take you back to the front to sign the adoption papers and bring Jungkook out."
"Thank you."