+ Chapter 8 ~ Troubled Beginnings +

Junior swore he felt himself starting to lull to sleep due to the steady rhythm of the car bumping on the road and the warmth of his father he currently felt as his head lay on his shoulder.

The sun had set hours ago, leaving nothing but a beautiful night sky. Since they were also far away from any city, they could clearly see the millions of stars that were usually hidden away. The cherry on top for Junior was that the moon was full, casting faint shadows due to the brightness. 

With his father by his side and the peaceful environment surrounding him while in a car that seemingly hummed softly, Junior felt incredibly relaxed and calm, despite the situation surrounding him and his father.

Godzilla looked down at his son as he heard the younger release a yawn. He grinned and asked, "You tired?"

Junior chuckled, "I guess. I woke up last night when my power returned, so I didn't get much sleep." 

Godzilla cringed at the image of his son going through the pain that he endured when his powers returned. "That'll definitely wake you up. Hurt like a motherfucker when my powers returned...Sorry you had to go through that too," He finished softly.

Junior let the unusual softness he saw in his father sink in. Of course he and his father were close, and he had heard this tone before. It had just been so long. The last time he heard it was right before they went off to fight Desotroyah. Junior secretly smiled sweetly. 

His smile was, however, replaced with a smirk as he scoffed. "Please, Dad. You think some spikes protruding and teeth sharpening would hurt me so much? Ha!" Junior laughed.

Godzilla smirked down at his son, snickering, "Of course I never thought that. You're the toughest out of the two of us after all," he joked.

Junior laughed lightly, soon joined by Godzilla as well.

'I missed this so much,' Godzilla thought.

A couple of seconds of silence passed in the car before Junior said, "Missed you too, pops." Junior gave a toothy grin to his Dad.

"Shit. I said that out loud?" Godzilla said, embarrassed.

Junior rolled his eyes while smiling, "I knew you didn't mean to say it, so I thought if I should reply. Then I thought, 'why hide the truth from ya?' So I said it."

Godzilla only smiled, his previous embarrassment gone. He turned his attention to the driver. "How long till we get there?"

"U-uh...about 2 hours left, sir," The driver stuttered, obviously startled by the sudden attention.

Godzilla hesitantly laid his head on his son's own head, using each other as a pillow. Junior eyes widened at the sudden pressure before relaxing a smiling once he realized it was his dad's head.

"You're obviously tired, Junior. G'head and get some sleep," Godzilla said quietly. 

Junior closed his eyes slowly as he snuggled into his dad's shoulder, getting comfortable. "Don't have to tell me twice, old man," he said sleepily.

Godzilla frowned at Junior's slick comment and opened his mouth to counter the remark. However, he stopped once he heard Junior's breathing change to a slower pace, indicating that he followed his Dad's advice.

'He must've been exhausted,' Godzilla thought solemnly, imagining how his son had gone through since being separated. He understood the sleepless nights missing someone. He's experienced that most of his life. 

The last person was Junior. The first was his father.

Godzilla closed his eyes tightly as if blinking the emotions away. 'Getting tired always brings the worst out of me. Snap out of it. Happened a long time ago. Your dad is gone, and your son is here. And both cases are the results of humans.' He thought bitterly.