A NEW PLACE

Dear Diary,

First of all. I'm going to write a little about myself. Who I am? Well my name is Lucia Lopez, Lucy for short. I was born in Mexico, I am 28 years old and I'm a teacher. I have light brown hair, light color skin and hazel eyes. I adore Disney, Marvel and Harry Potter. I have all the books. Yeah, some people thinks I'm a geek but I enjoy that. Something that now my ex boyfriend didn't understand and decided to cheat on me. Something that caused me so much pain.

I thought I was going to marry him, but looks like the joke is on me. I had lived all my life in Mexico, just going to Los Angeles a few times, since I have family there. I have been studying english for aproximately four years. My english teacher says that I must write this diary or journal, whatever you want to call it to practice my english. I'm really good at talking, understanding, and reading, but I still have an accent.

When I broke up with Maximiliano, my ex boyfriend, my parents showed me a facebook post. A cultural program was looking for mexicans who spoke english to teach kids all over the US.

"Es una buena oportunidad para que salgas y vivas un poco. (It's a great opportunity for you to go out and live a little)"my mother said to me once.

I'm going to be honest, I was scare but decided to sign up. I might not even get it, there were thousands of applicants. But one night, I received a email. I got an interview. I was freaking out. The next day, I went to the interview and made an english exam. I didn't know if I was going to get it. I mean, I bet there are more people with teaching experience than me who spoke english. I didn't received news until a few weeks ago. They asked me to go to this office. I was a bit scared but went anyways.

They told me that I was going to be flying to Boston and that they were going to give me a school where I was going to teach kids spanish. I was going to be living in a house that was donated by someone super rich, The Johnsons. The house was big and pet friendly, just in case I wanted to take a pet. I was so happy for that, since I have a dog named Mika. She was a female four year old that I adopted from the streets. Where I am from, there are a lot of dogs in the streets.

The house was going to be all for myself, I just needed to take good care of it. The program was going to just pay me to teach but I was going to get a really good payment. So now you see me, with a suitcase, ready to go to this adventure.

"Te voy a extrañar (I'm going to miss you)" My brother said. I have a little brother. His name is Santiago. He is 25 years old and he is college in Mexico.

"Yo también. (Me too)" I said as I hugged him. My friends and family tooked me to the airport. I was going to miss them so much. I didn't know noone in Boston, I was going to be all alone. I was so scared but excited at the same time.

Later that day, I arrieved to Boston. I grab a taxi and gave them the adress. When we were going to the neighborhood, I saw the houses. All the houses were huge! I was in awe, I was going to feel so out of place here. I saw that we passed a big park near with lots of trees. My Mika was going to love that park. She was going to fly tomorow, since there was a little problem with her boarding ticket. My dad prefered for me to get the plane and tomorrow they are going to send Mika to me.

When we arrieved to the house, I couldn't believe my eyes. It was huuuge! It had a lot of space and trees. There was a beautiful garden and a pool in the backyard. The house was color gray and had five bedrooms and four bathrooms. One big kitchen and a big livingroom. What did I suppose to do with a huge house? I was going to feel so lonely in it.

I paid the taxi driver and got out of the car, I looked around on the neighborhood and then saw a women around her 40s in the entrance of the house.

"Hello, you must be Lucia."She said as she closed her fist. Since we were in pandemic, we couldn't shake hands. We were both using face mask.

"Please call me Lucy" I said.

"Well Lucy, I'm Samantha Johnson. My parents are the ones that donated this house for the cultural program. Since they are older, they couldn't be here to give you the keys of the house. But if you need anything, You can call me." Samantha said giving me a card.

"Thank you" I said and then she opened the door of the house and that is when I saw the house. I mean I saw it in pictures but now in real live, it was beautiful and huge! Have I mention that? We walked around and she showed me the bedrooms, kitchen and living room. She showed me the pool and the backyard. It was great and beautiful.

"They told me you have a dog?" She asked.

"Yes, they flight her tomorrow. Is that okay?" I asked.

"Oh yes! Don't worry. I love dogs. I was telling you because our neighbor has one. And dogs communicate by barking. Just, so you will know, just in case you hear barking. " She said. "Do you know who's house is next to ours?" She asked with a glow in her eyes, like if she was a school girl telling me a gossip.

I shook my head "no". She was going to tell me when her phone rang and she had to picked it up. That gave me a chance to see the backyard better. I was going to enjoy the quiet. I was loving this place.

"I'm sorry, I have to go. My kids made a mess at home and the babysitter is freaking out. Are you going to be okay?" She asked.

"Yeah, I will be fine" I said. She smiled and then told me to call her if I needed anything since I was all alone in this city.

She gave me the security codes and then left. Leaving me all alone. I turned on the lights and went to choose a bedroom. I choosed a bedroom that had the view of the forest behind the house. It had a bathroom with a tub and a shower and a walk in closet. I loved it.

I went to check the fridge, like I expected, there was no food. I was going to go groceries shopping tomorrow. I got my cell and looked for the wifi, I insert the wifi and looked for a chinesse place near. I called and asked for some chinesse food, then I watched tv.

The food came, I paid and ate dinner, while I watched some movie in netflix. Then I went to my new bedroom and unpack. Took a shower and now I'm writting on this diary to practice my english. I'm kind of afraid to sleep all alone. I wish Mika would be here with me. Well, I must go to sleep. Tomorrow I'm going to check the neighborhood and go grocery shopping. Then I will get an Uber and go get my Mika. Yaay! Good night!

XOXOXO,

Lucy