Chapter Six: A Break From Reality

*Hey guys! I'm back with another chapter of Past Troubles!! Really? Already?! Yes! This is published on July 8, 2021. If you like this chapter, don't be afraid to vote and spam the comment section. That will be greatly appreciated! The song used is called "Brand New" by Ben Rector. Enjoy!*

Maya began to read books of far-off places in her room, smiling in thought. Not necessarily about the book, but...it's about someone. Buster Moon.

Just the thought of seeing him again made her blush slightly. His soft blue eyes, his soothing voice to ease her nervousness...wait, no, no, she just met that man. Besides she knew that her mother would be against it...well, what's a little rebellion gonna hurt? Maya immediately received backlash from that thought since of course, her mother was going to yell at her and...well, she felt like a child even though she knew she's not. Her mother has the authority over her life.

Maya sighed in realization while she frowned at the books. If only she could just climb right inside of those books. However, reality came at her like a speeding train when she heard someone opening the door.

Maya ran out of her bedroom to see a familiar older female koala entering the house. She had gray fur compared to Maya's golden fur with brown hair in a bun and glasses enlarging her green eyes.

"Maya! I'm home!" her mother announced as Maya went down stairs to meet her mother's gaze.

"Hey, mother," Maya responded. "Welcome home."

"Ugh, work is so tiring. Today, I saw a lion jumped on this rhino guy," her mother told the story while setting her stuff down. "They were fighting for objects and it's just horrible. Horrible I say. This is why you shouldn't be out there in this disgusting world."

Maya nodded her head in understanding. "Understood, mother."

The world isn't so disgusting, she wanted to say that to her mother but then she'll have to explain why she thinks the world isn't disgusting and this will involve her explaining that she went and took a job at the theater. So, Maya faked a smile as her mother walked through the house.

"Do you have any pestering calls?" her mother asked her.

"Um...no. Just a normal day...safe in the house," Maya stated with a plastered grin.

Her mother examined her while squinting. "I detect a slight hint of whimsy."

Maya felt nervousness through her veins until her mother smiled.

"I'll allow," her mother responded with a kiss in her blonde curly hair.

Maya let out a discreet sigh in relief while her mother checked herself in the mirror. Maya went with her to continue to ask. "So, um, Mom, I just have a question--"

"Ba, ba, ba, Maya, look into that mirror," her mother demanded softly.

Maya looked into her reflection, glasses to show her blue eyes while her hair was in a bun.

"You know what I see...I see a beautiful smart young lady," her mother complimented.

Maya straightened up with a confident smile.

"Oh, look you're there too," her mother teased with a laugh. "I was just joking, darling!"

Maya's confident smile withered away in a matter of seconds but she pushed the thought aside. "You know, Mom, what if, hypothetically, I go out and look for a job--"

"A job?"

"Yeah, the one that pays extremely well," Maya replied to her mother in excitement.

"Oh, Maya, there's no such thing as a good-paying job," her mother answered while looking into her own reflection, removing the make-up.