10- To Put Together a Puzzle You First Need Pieces

Mulai dari awal

“I won’t,” I agreed with a nod and climbed from the car. In a moment Jakeson was at my side and it almost surprised me that he didn’t try to reach for my hand. Maybe I did need some girls as friends?

Morisa waved at me and I returned it with my own surprised smile. I had thought Brendon’s plan had failed but it seemed like just maybe the girls wouldn’t just forget me. I wasn’t really sure what type of an impression I’d made on them. Guys are so much easier to become friends with…

Just as I thought it the familiar sound of Spencer complaining at Frankie met my ears. I smiled and looked past Jakeson to where the group of rowdy boys sat. It wasn’t hard to spot them all. They were mixed in with a large group of fellow football players but sure enough there were my boys: Frankie poking at Spencer, Spencer trying to get back to the book he was frantically looking through, and Brendon watching them amused as he tried to settle the conflict.

Brendon’s shining eyes met mine and he opened his mouth as though he were saying hello. I grinned, Jakeson having stopped walking as well when he noticed where I was looking. The interruption tore Frankie and Spencer from their little tussle and they both looked up to me as well. I smiled with a little wave, about to take a step towards the large group. I didn’t remember most of the other boy’s names but it wasn’t important.

But I did remember him.

Kale’s eyes turned towards mine as he must have been watching his friends and noticed their change of expression. Instantly his smile dropped and his face went blank. All expression left him and in that second our eyes held I could feel all the air in my body leave in a rush through my mouth. It felt like I’d been punched in the face as he turned his eyes away from me as though he’d never seen me to begin with.

For a moment I faltered, just standing there. I had so much I wanted to say to him. It isn’t the place nor the time. I realized as Jakeson’s hand landed on my shoulder. As always he’d noticed right away my mood changing. Just play it cool.

I gave the boys my best smile and a little cute wave before walking towards the school doors instead of towards them like I normally would. Jakeson faithfully followed beside me, catching up in an instant. He didn’t breathe a word as he quickly opened the door for me and I stepped in before him. He followed beside me in a light silence as we approached my locker where Skylar stood, his charming smile already in place.

“Rein,” he greeted me the second I was in range. For a second his eyes scanned me before meeting mine.

Once more Jakeson set his large warm hand on my shoulder. Here it comes… I thought, preparing myself for the freak out. It was a well known fact that the two boys didn’t particularly like each other. “I’ll see you at lunch?” Jakeson asked softly.

His calm tone surprised me and I looked up into his perfectly blue eyes. They met mine, a soft look to them. “I’m sitting with Jared,” I answered slowly. Once more I readied myself for him to object.

“Okay, well text me when you’re ready for a ride home then.” Once more he smiled and turned his eyes to Skylar. “Skylar,” he said gently with a little nod of acknowledgement before walking off down the hall.