25 | she's lost herself in anger

Start from the beginning

She leisurely opens the door, thankful that it wasn't creaking. Her eyes immediately take note of the dim lighting of the room, with the evening light behind the curtains just dying to peek through. There was also a curtain that blocked the view from the rest of the room; it wasn't all the way closed, but it was open enough for Hyejin to be able to see a glimpse of a hospital bed. It was very, very quiet, with the exception of the machines that she could hear beeping at a steady rhythm.

Hyejin closes the door and tries to keep her footsteps to a minimum as she nears the curtain. And when she finally arrives, she peeks a head beyond the barrier.

And she sees Wheein's grandmother on the bed, eyes closed and chest heavy. Her eyes drift to the side of the bed, where she could see Wheein. The girl had her head down at the edge of the bed, using what seemed like a notebook and a hand as support for her head, with the other hand loosely grasping around a pencil.

Hyejin watches over the girl silently with a small smile, leaning her own head against the beige wall of the hospital room. She ties a hand around one of the straps of her backpack and places it on the floor.

Then stills as she hears the shuffling of sheets, and her eyes stagger back towards Wheein. She observes as the girl picks her head up, still not noticing Hyejin, with a yawn escaping her lips.

Wheein flutters her eyes open, and the first thing she sees is her grandmother laying in the same exact position as before. Then she glances down at her sketchbook that she seemed to have fallen asleep on, and then her eyes gaze around the room before spotting Hyejin standing in front of a wall right next to the curtain that hung beside the bed. 

Wait, Hyejin?

She wasn't hallucinating𑁋she could see Hyejin looking back at her, and Wheein can feel her own lips twitching and struggling to put out a smile.

"Hey... Angel." Hyejin greets, slightly hesitant on the nickname. Hearing her soft voice makes sends Wheein shivers.

Their gazes were still held on one another, locked and tightly, with Wheein still somewhat struggling to remotely believe that she was in the same room as her.

And then, in a moment, Wheein finds herself standing up and dashing in the direction of Hyejin. She feels a pair of arms wrap around her as she buries her face in the younger girl's neck. It nearly knocks Hyeijn against the wall, but she could only hold Wheein in her arms as the small girl melts into her embrace.

"Woah, hey, I'm here now, it's okay." Hyejin feels Wheein release her head from her neck, where could finally get a glance at the girl up close. She reaches a hand to caress Wheein's cheek gently, and she could see nothing but darkness in her pupils, the puffiness under her eyes, and the exasperated look on her face. It didn't seem like Wheein was getting much sleep. 

Wheein closes her eyes to Hyejin's touch, breathing unsteady from the tears that seemed to be building up in her eyes once again. Hyejin just smiles softly, before leaning down to press an angel kiss to one of the eyelids of her closed eyes, and the contact makes Wheein's heart leap in surprise as her eyes open to look back up at Hyejin.

There was something different in Wheein's gaze that Hyejin couldn't exactly pinpoint. It may just be the dark lighting in the room, so Hyejin brushes off quickly and catches a glimpse of the empty hospital bed behind.

"Come on, let's go sit down." She reaches down lace her fingers with Wheein, guiding her in the direction of the bed.

Wheein places herself down first at the edge, with Hyejin following, and the two of them find themselves facing in the direction of Wheein's grandmother.