The Throne Legacy ~ Chapter 6

Start from the beginning

“What does it mean?” Nikita asked.

Shards shifted uncomfortably. “As for what it means I do not know. But if I am right about what it is, there is only one in Irallian that can give you the answers you seek.”

“Who?” Nikita wondered hopefully.

“The Soothsayer.”

“The Soothsayer?” Nikita echoed, disbelief evident in her voice. “Forgive me for questioning your advice, but, the Soothsayer is a fortune teller. How will they know what this symbol is?”

Shards stood and stepped through to her bedchamber, Nikita followed after a moment and found her by the window.

“The Soothsayer knows many things, not just the future. He is greatly interested in the past, for he believes that to fully understand what he sees of the future, he must understand the past. He has a great underground library, one which should hold your answer,” Shards informed her.

Nikita was still dubious. “I do not know what the Soothsayer’s library will have that the Royal Library will not.”

“Trust me, Nikita,” Shards said, turning to look her friend in the eye.

Nikita sighed. “Alright.”

“You will find the Soothsayer in the South Western side of the city,” Shards said, and Nikita joined her to look out the window. “His house shares a road with the Black Cat Inn, ask direction for that, and you will find the Soothsayer’s street.”

“How will I know which house is his?” Nikita asked.

Shards’ lips twitched into a grin. “You’ll know when you see it.”

Nikita could see that she was going to gain no more information from the Duchess and hurried to her chambers. She needed to go that night. The following day she would be too busy with the celebrations and she was desperate to find out the meaning of the symbol. She knew it was not wise to go into the city by herself at night. Shards had told her to take someone with her, but Nikita didn’t know who she could trust anymore - she’d have to go alone.

She gave a startled cry as she reached for her chamber door for it to be opened from the inside.

“I’m very sorry, Princess, I did not mean to frighten you,” Lady Mylene said, stepping aside so Nikita could enter.

“It’s alright. I had my mind on other things,” she smiled wryly as her maid shut the door. “How is your father?”

Mylene turned and stared for a moment before speaking. “Oh, he will recover well. He just needs rest now.”

“That is good news,” Nikita said, then went into her bedchamber in search of a cloak to wear. She found one made of a blue cloth so dark it looked almost black, it would certainly do for the city at night.

“My lady, pardon my asking,” Mylene paused and Nikita nodded for her to continue. “But does my lady mean to go out tonight.”

“I do,” Nikita replied, “and I would appreciate it if you told no one of my departure. I should not be too long.”

“But my lady, it is night. You should not be going out at this hour. Do you intend to take a guard?”

“I do not,” Nikita informed her, putting on the cloak and pulling the hood up over her head.

“That is very unwise, my lady, though it’s not my place to say so. There are people out there who...may mean you harm. The city is a dangerous place at night for one of your ranking and for one who does not know the streets. There are some places very unsafe, especially for a lady alone. Please do not go out, my lady. And if you must, please take someone with you,” Mylene begged, following Nikita into the outer chamber.