|Thirty four|

"You're back!" Sophie squealed.

He didn't spare her a glance as he proceeded to greet Umma Saude.

"Mama,ina wuni?:(good evening?)"

"Lafiya kalau,har ka dawo:(I'm fine,you're back already?)"she rhetorically asked.

"How was the journey?"he further went ahead to inquire.

"It was fine I guess"

After that,the room fell into complete silence until Maya noticed her father and quickly ran into his arm.

"Papi!"her joy knew no bound as he lifted her up.

"Did you miss me?"He asked with the same enthusiasm.

"We'll be going" with that,they left the living room.

"Now where is your mother?"he playfully asked as they approached the room.

He met Huda rearranging the room.

"You didn't tell me we had guest"he simply stated.

It took her a moment before she finally replied.

"You never asked"

He dropped Maya as she ran out of the room energetically.

"Did I have to?"

"It's not in my place to do so"

He opened his mouth,but he was unable to speak. Probably sensing she was in a bad mood,he thought it would be better he gave her space.

Imam decided on going to hangout with his friends,after all it has been long since he and boys had a nice relaxing day together.

"Mijin mata biyu!!!(husband of two!!!)" Hamza yelled out immediately he sighted imam coming out from his car.

"Hamza,when will you grow up?" Bello reprimanded with a sly smile on his face.

"I'm all grown-"

"Na'am Gauro(yes,Bachelor)" he replied with a smirk. Score!

"Ouch!" Abbas finally spoke as he and Bello bursted into fits of laughter.

"Okay man,you got me"Hamza admitted with a lazy smile on his face.

Imam found a seat beside his cousin, Abbas as he grabbed a can of coke.

"It's been long we actually saw you,you have become scares" Bello remarked.

From his face,you could easily tell how exhausted he was,not only physically,but he was also emotionally drained. Who said having two wives was a piece of cake?

"Long story"

And that was how he relayed to them the events that happened earlier in the day.

"Woah! That's messed up" Hamza commented.

"Tell me about it" Imam said with an exasperated sigh. From the look of things,he looks stressed out,from work to his marital life,it was all chaos.

That was how their day advanced as they kept catching up and what not. Who knows when will be the next time they get to spend quality time together again.

"Okay, it was nice hanging out with you guys,but I gotta go. Bye!" That was Abbas,as he stood up in a rush to run an errand for his mom.

"My regards to the Iron Lady"Imam said with a smile which made them all chuckle.

Abbas's mother,whom is also Imam's aunt singlehandedly raised her three children up,after their father's demise 20 years ago,hence the name Iron Lady.

Abbas acknowledged him with a nod as Imam also stood up about to leave.

"Yo man,can you please drop him off on your way home?" Bello said because his ride ditched him.

"Sure thing"

Bello used this as the perfect moment to have a heart to heart conversation with his best friend.

"Are you sure you are okay?"

Imam gave  him a quick glance before replying.

"Yes,I am"

His friend looked at him skeptically before responding.

"Short replies? I doubt much" he insisted.

Clearly knowing that Bello was not buying his facade,he simply decided to admit it,after all it's his friend.

After some few turns,he parked right directly at Bello's house.

"Fine,I am not. I am not getting the hang of this whole polygamy. It is very much stressful,I have to divide my attention between both ladies. When I married Huda,I thought Sophie was never coming back,because it seemed like she fell out of love,although a small part of me was hoping she would be back. Then out of nowhere,she comes knocking on the door. Huda on the other hand showed me love,she cares for I and my daughter without expecting nothing in return,but I feel like I am cheating her..."

"...because you love Safiya more"

Imam sighed heavily as he palmed his face.

"Exactly! Huda gives me love,peace of mind and cares for me,while Sophie does the exact opposite,so am I not suppose to love her more? I'm confused Bello"

It took him a moment to digest the information. He knew Imam was going through a rough time,but he never knew it was to this extent.

"Look,it's okay to love Sophie more than Huda. All that is needed of you is to be fair between the both of them,you're bound to love one more than the other. I can't really tell you I know how or what it feels like,but you're doing a very great job. Don't beat yourself to it. Take things one step at a time,you cannot be perfect. No is"

"I know,I am just stressed out!"

"You look miserable, you need as much rest as you can,you could even take a timeout from work kafin ka kafara furfura tun kana da kuruciya:(before you start growing gray hair at a youthful age)"he joked which made them both chuckle.

"In shaa Allah. Thank you"

"No,thank you for the ride,my regards to Maya" with that,he shut the door.

Imam drove off,but decided to hang around before he went back home.

The time was already past 11 when he decided to go back home,which was quite unusual of him.As soon as he stepped into the house,it was dead silent. Sophie and her mom had retired for the night already,all the lights were out,concluding that everyone was asleep. Furthering his steps into the living room,he was met with a worried Huda who immediately stood on her feet with relief. She quickly met him half way with her hands around his body.

"I was worried sick"

He stood there,numb until he regained his composure and returned the hug.

"I am sorry" she added in a low voice.

He stood there in her embrace,guilty.