Chapter 17

CHAPTER 17

Violet

I grabbed my phone out from my bag. 

"Put your phone away Harper, you not going to need it." Eric said slyly. 

I frowned.

"You see that man sitting at the fountain across from us." He nodded at the direction in front of him. I looked and saw a short man with curly brown hair sitting on a wooden bench eating a sandwich.

"Yes..." I slowly said, scrunching my nose.

"Rule no. 1 – Throw yourself out there! Go talk to him... chat him up." Eric said with ease, that stupid smirk on his face.

"What?! You did mean putting myself out there like registering on more dating apps right?" I laughed a nervous chuckle.

His smirk grew into a devilish grin. "No... more like approach 3 guys and talk casually to them." 

"Easy enough, right?" He mocked.

My eyes bulged. 

Hell no!

My heart pounded three times faster. "I'm sorry but absolutely not. I'm not going up to some random stranger and chat him up." I said, having a complete panic attack.

"Take it easy Harper. It's part of putting yourself out there. You need to build confidence to approach strangers and have a casual conversation with them. I'm not saying going jump in the sack with him or talk marriage vowels." Eric said. "It's an effort to do something you have to do, even if it's inconvenient or uncomfortable."

I shook my head and crossed my arms. Refusing to do his ridiculous exercise.

He took a sip of his coffee. "Meeting people can be stressful, especially in your case." I rolled my eyes briefly at his stupid comment. "This is just the test to break your shyness. To meet people organically and not behind a screen."

I began to fidget on my charms again.

He looked at me and noticed my hesitance. "What do you have to lose? What's the worst the guy could say?.. Get lost? And besides we agreed to this?"

I frowned and looked towards the direction of the man. "What do I even say? The poor man is having lunch for crying out loud."

"Talk about the weather? Sitting at the fountain looks really relaxing? Say hi? Anything." Eric said, as he outstretched his arms, resting his hands behind his head. Advising me like it was nothing.

I breathed out and looked at the man seated at the fountain and chewed the inside of my lip. He seemed harmless enough. "Okay I'll do it!" I blurted out gaining sudden courage. I bit my bottom lip regretting the decision instantly.

I could do this, couldn't I? It's no big deal!

Eric smiled and watched me get up. "Go get 'em Hermione."

My eyes narrowed at him. "If you must know, I'm house Ravenclaw!"

He rolled his eyes.

"And I'm just proving to you I'm not scared to speak to random strangers." I said. Which was a complete bald face lie. I was terrified and nervous! My hands started to feel sweaty as it clammed up and sweat heated my upper lip.

"Come on. I'll be here watching you." Eric amused sipping his damn black coffee and grinning like he was about to watch the football playoffs. But I wanted to prove to him I could do this and do this with ease. I was professional after all. I set the short man as a goal that I needed to complete. That didn't make me feel better having an audience especially from the infamous playboy Eric Bolton.