Chapter 3: One day

Start from the beginning

"Hurry," the guy says bringing me back from my thoughts and I nod walking in. 

The place was quiet as usual and I make my way guardedly upstairs. The maids were running around for some weird reason. I could hear my cousins irritating, squeaky voice from the kitchen. So this is what her voice sounds like, a dying whale. 

"Where is that ugly bitch. We have a very important guest coming over and she lazing around." Important guest, who could it be?. Wait I shouldn't care because I'm normally locked in my attic when people come over. Although I don't mind, since it's practically the only time I get to myself and my books. 

"ANNIKA!," I hold my ears as her shouting is like a whistle through the hearing aids. Frantically I run upstairs and place my bag on the cold wooden ground. Leaving my room, I ask for the cleaning supplies that one of the maids were carrying downstairs. She looked at me oddly before giving it to me. I thank her and make my way down to the kitchen. 

"Where have you been whore, don't you see they need you in the kitchen" I lower my head, not wanting to make eye contact. Maybe not having the ability to hear was a blessing, because I won't be able to handle her calling me these names. 

"S-sorry, I have been cleaning the windows," I say softly.

"Whatever just hurry," her high pitched voice making me jump as she leaves the kitchen. 

Mitchell hurries to me "did you get them," her sweet, heart-warming voice filled my ears and I nod moving my hair to the side so she can see. Beaming with happiness, she brings me into a tight hug and I melted into her embrace. But then suddenly she pulled back, eyeing me up and down. "Where did you get this coat" omg stupid me how could I forget about this. 

"Long story, maybe I will tell you after this," she looks at me vigilantly, whether to question me further or to leave it at that. She nods and I kiss her cheek as I'm grateful for her choice. 

For the next few hours, I was helping Mitchell around the kitchen. When a booming voice came out from the entryway. "Annika, come here this fucking instance!" I dropped the knife and quickly made my way to my uncle. His voice sounded unsympathetic and bloodcurdling. 

My breathing became ragged as I looked at the sight in front of me. The guy that showed me sympathy was on his knees, my uncle holding a gun to his head. Tears were rolling down my cheek, beholding his eyes that had faithfulness. "P-please, stop!" I cried out but he just laughed sinisterly. 

"I thought I should punish you for stepping foot out of the mansion but then I found out someone helped you. So what better way to punish you than this" 

I tried to find just a little sympathy or doubtfulness in his eye's but nothing. I finally understood, he is a nasty and cruel person and there is nothing I could do to change that. The little hope I had for him was gone and that's when he pulled the trigger making me scream as I fall to my knees, covering my mouth. The vivid red blood was trickling down the white shiny tiles and I just sat there paralysed at the sight in front of me. 

That moment I swore to myself that I would never ask for anyones help or leave this hell hole. 

I was pushing myself off the cold tiles for support "You animal, you monster!" he walked towards me and smacked right across the face. I hold my cheek from the stinging sensation. "Don't you ever raise your voice at me" 

I look at the dead body in front of me as I sobbed. 

I'm sorry, 

I don't want to hurt anyone,  

I don't want to break anyone,

I don't want to make anyone cry because of me,

I don't want to put people in trouble because of me. 

But what unfortunate luck I have, I don't want any one of these things but all this happened unintentionally and I'm so sorry.  

"Get her dressed and clean this place up, my guest is arriving soon." Mitchell quickly comes to my side, helping me up as she cleans the blood running down my nose. All I do is look at him in disgust. Before I could leave he grabs me by my jaw making me look at him "I have a business deal and if you fucking mess it up, I will kill you myself" with that he lets go and walks away. 

when we get back to my attic, Mitchell tried to comfort me, bringing me to her chest. "You're thoughtful, gentle and you have the kindest heart, Annika. What happened wasn't your fault, my dear child" 

"Do you really think so" she smiles and wipes my tears away "Of course. Now let's get you dressed before your uncle comes," I nod. 

After a few minutes, I was dressed and she helped me cover up my bruises before tieing my hair back with a ribbon "you're all done," I turn around and thank her, she helps me make my way downstairs.  

I go into the kitchen and help Mitchell prepare the drinks when I hear Carla's screeching voice as she comes down. "Dad when is he coming" she looked like she was trying too hard. Her dress was completely short where well-nigh everything was displaying. Her boobs were bulging out of her dress like mountains. I could never be like her and I will never be like her. Those types of girls are repulsive, sorry my opinion. 

"Another few minutes sweetheart" my uncle walks into the kitchen but I keep quiet, continuing what I was doing but stop when he grabs my arm making me get his full attention.

"The only reason you will be joining us downstairs is because the deal is constructed by your inheritance. Which I would be used to buy a share in a business. So don't talk unless you're being spoken to. Understand," I know for a fact that I wouldn't be signing anything under my name. My parents left the money for me and I would rather use it for a good cause than let this greedy, hungry animal eat it.

"UNDERSTAND" 

"Yes," I say calmly and confidently. 

The doorbell rings and my uncle lets go of the tense hold on my arm, giving me one last hateful glare before making his way to the front door. I can hear them welcoming the person in but I don't acknowledge it, although his voice does sound familiar. 

No, it can't be, your thinking too much about him, Annika

Taking a deep breath, I plaster a fake smile. I really just want to turn off my hearing aids and just walk in. Unfortunately, I can't, I need to listen to their conversation in order to stop myself from signing anything I don't know. 

Looking down I walk into the dining room holding my breath "and this is my niece, Annika." My uncle held my back and I felt extremely uncomfortable so I shifted away. Slowly I lift my head and my heartbeat quickens as I notice who it is.

Annika, you are officially doomed.