[27]

The group of wolves would have cheered and howled loudly, if not for the loss of their friend. Lizzie couldn't comprehend that Leah was gone. Instead, they gathered around a bonfire outside of Emily's house, Billy and Charlie there to support Sue. 

They told stories about Leah, and how great she was. A great fighter, a great pack member, and a great sister. To all of them, not just Seth. Lizzie sat amongst them, smiling and laughing amongst their little family, but she couldn't help but feel guilty. The battle wouldn't have happened if not for her.

She wished she'd been a better friend to Leah. She was a hard person to talk to. She was always kind, and supportive, but Lizzie should have tried more to be that for Leah. She was always closed off, melancholy in her own thoughts, keeping them away from even the rest of the pack. Lizzie could tell she never really felt like a true part of the pack, and the coil of guilt inside her swelled.

She should have done more.

Paul held Lizzie's hand tight in his as he brought her to her room that night. They were both quiet, the aftermath of the battle truly sinking in. They were exhausted. 

Lizzie let go of Paul's hand, moving into the bathroom. She peeled off her dirty war clothes, thankful for the warm bliss of her shower. She stood there, letting the hot water pelt her skin, her head. Washing away the events of that day. 

Paul walked over and flopped on her bed, physically depleted of all energy. Mentally, however, was a different story. His mind was buzzing with 100 thoughts at once, and he didn't know how to sort through them all.

He knew Lizzie better than anyone else ever had, and ever could. She had to be blaming herself for Leah's death, and any other injuries sustained during the fight. Both the vampires and the wolves healed quickly, almost instantly, but that didn't make her feel any less guilty. 

Paul didn't know how to tell her that it wasn't her fault. They all had the option not to fight, but they all chose to anyways. They wanted to. Leah especially. As headstrong as she was, she was loyal to a fault. If she had the opportunity to protect her friends, she would. So she did. They wouldn't have beat the Volturi without her.

After a while, Lizzie realized the water had gone cold. She turned it off, stepping out of the shower and drying herself off with the fluffiest towel she could find. Wrapping it around herself, she walked into her bedroom, where Paul was barely awake as he sat up on her bed. 

Neither of them said a word, Lizzie pulling on one of Paul's t-shirts, the fabric almost hanging to her knees. She walked over to her bed, where Paul took her hand, still warm from the shower, and pressed a kiss to her knuckles. 

He pulled her to sit down beside him, before leaning down to kiss her exposed shoulder. She leaned into him, resting her head on his shoulder, listening to his breaths. They were safe. They were here. They did it. 

Buzzing thoughts dimmed to a dull hum, and they sat together like that, soaking in one another's presence. The love they shared for one another flowed between them in an invisible bond, actual or a figment of their imaginations. It was almost tangible, the roar of emotion they held for each other, holding together like it was keeping the other alive.

Lizzie almost fell asleep like that. When Paul noticed her breathing deepen, he picked her up into his arms, setting her head on her pillow. He lay down next to her, wrapping his arms around her before burying his face in her hair. She could feel his hot breaths on the back of her neck and leaned into him.