[17]

Lizzie winced as she pricked her finger, the small needle in her hand now shining with a drop of blood. She reached over, rubbing it discreetly on the inside of a tree before following her path back to the field. She'd been doing this all day, from the northern entrance of Forks, through the forest and toward the mountains. Lizzie repeated the process four more times, choosing rocks, trees, fallen logs, anywhere to hide her scent, directing the newborns to the battle.

"Don't go overboard." Bella stated, following her through the tree line toward Edward, Paul, and Jacob.

"I'm just trying to be thorough." Lizzie replied. The two girls had painstakingly walked through the forest together, Bella lending her human scent to the trail they tracked as they chatted. Bella had just informed Lizzie of her engagement, for which they were both very excited. Lizzie walked over to Paul to say goodbye before their trek into the mountains.

"I can smell it from here." Paul commented, glancing to the last bit of blood she smeared on the underside of a tree branch. Lizzie shrugged. "You really went all out."

"Yeah, well, it would have been easier if I could walk properly. I actually couldn't stand up this morning, and I've taken three painkillers in the last three hours." She grumbled, trying not to use the muscles in her lower body too much. Paul just grinned, pulling her close and planting a kiss on her forehead.

"Sorry, baby, I just couldn't help myself." He stated. Lizzie rolled her eyes but smiled. She had no regrets about last night, every second worth every ounce of pain. Besides, it was good pain. Paul sniffed the air. "You should get going. There's a storm coming in." He called to the group. Edward and Jacob both nodded.

"Good luck, Paul." Lizzie said, pressing a kiss to his cheek before walking over to Jacob.

"Won't need it." He replied with a snarky grin. Jacob phased and knelt down, Bella climbing up onto his fur after Edward kissed her forehead. Lizzie climbed up after her, wincing at the pressure of her weight on her thighs. She made a face at Paul, trying to readjust herself, and he just winked.

It didn't take more than a couple hours before they arrived at the small campsite toward the top of the mountain. There were less and less trees, the mountain rock being the only cover from the elements.

Jacob knelt down in front of the small tent Edward had set up, said vampire standing on a rock nearby. Bella climbed down and went in for a hug, where as Lizzie slid off less gracefully, almost falling over once her feet hit the ground. Jacob phased back, straightening to crack his spine before facing the three of them.

"You should get back before the storm hits." Bella advised, looking to Jacob.

"No, I'm staying. You'll need my connection to the pack to keep tabs on what's going on." He replied. "Not to mention Paul wanting to keep tabs on you." Jacob remarked, giving Lizzie a look. She made a face.

"You're not going to fight?" Bella asked.

"Seth will spell me in the morning. He's not happy about missing the action, but it'll keep him out of trouble." Jacob replied. Edward made a face, turning to Bella.

"Let's get you inside." He said quietly, leading her toward the tent.

"Next time you see him, can you ask Paul to keep his thoughts to himself?" Jacob asked, making Lizzie look up. He looked her up and down, raising an eyebrow at her slightly shaky legs before finding a place to keep watch.

Lizzie's face went red, and she walked over to a nice spot on the mountain to look at the view before the storm hit. They were pretty far above the cloud bank, so it was nice to be able to see the scenery for once.