[06]

Lizzie was standing with Eric, Angela, Jessica, and Mike when Bella pulled up in her truck. Today, it was her 18th birthday, and she wanted very badly for everyone to forget about it.

"Today's the big day, Bella!" Jessica said cheerfully. Lizzie internally groaned. They had one job. Bella made a face that matched hers. "R and J essay? Due?"

"Oh, yeah." Bella realized, going back through her mind. Lizzie loved English, but she hated Romeo and Juliet. She thought it was unrealistic for someone to kill themselves after seeing their lover dead. It was so cherished by people and so many girls wanted a love like theirs, where as Lizzie just wanted someone to spend her days with. She didn't need an epic tragedy with an overzealous ending.

"Where for art thou, Bella?" Mike asked in a mocking accent.

"Let me take a picture of you guys. My mom wants me to put together, like, a big scrapbook full of memories." Bella said suddenly. Everyone suddenly got into formation. Lizzie squealed as Mike hauled her onto his shoulders and they all posed.

"You'll photoshop this so my nose looks good, right?" Jessica asked as Bella held up the camera. 

"Don't worry, no one will be looking at you guys because I'm here." Eric said, grinning. Bella snapped the photo, and Mike groaned aloud.

"Oh, good. Cullen's here." He grumbled.

"Talk to you later." Jessica said as the group walked away. Lizzie waited a moment before Eric came back and pulled her away. She was about to make her way to said English class when a pair of arms wrapped around her waist. She poked them, feeling tight, corded muscle.

"You cannot escape. I simply won't have it." Jacob said, whispering in her ear. Lizzie scoffed, turning around. Her friends bid her goodbye from behind her.

"Hello, Hercules." She said quietly, looking him up and down. He smiled. "What are you doing here, Jake?" Lizzie asked, returning his expression. Jake pressed a kiss to her temple before turning around slightly.

"I'm actually here to say 'happy birthday' to Bella." He said. Lizzie's heart twisted and she nodded.

"Okay, well, I'm gonna head to class. I'll see you." She said quietly.

"Okay." Jacob said, smiling a bit. Lizzie turned to leave before Jake pulled her around, kissing her firmly on the lips. Lizzie's eyes widened as she pulled away, a larger smile on her face.

"Bye." She said softly before spinning on her heel, smiling all the way to class.

The next day, everything was the same, until it wasn't. Lizzie realized she hadn't seen the Cullens all day, and it was taking an effect on Bella. When she looked longingly over at their lunch table, that was the last straw.

"Bella, what's going on?" Lizzie asked as she pulled Bella away from their table and into the secluded hallway.

"I, um, Alice threw me a party last night at Edward's house. Just them, and it was going great until..."

"Until what?" Lizzie pressed. Bella shook her head and ran a hand through her hair.

"Until I cut myself on a piece of wrapping paper, and Jasper smelled it." Bella explained. Lizzie's eyes went wide.

"Are you okay?" She asked, immediately surveying her friend for injuries. Bella waved her off.

"I'm fine, but.... Edward doesn't want to... turn me. And I keep getting hurt, and it's putting them all in danger, and I just..." Bella broke down, the tears slipping out. "I don't know what to do." Lizzy wrapped her arms around her friend.