[09]

"Jake's, right. You're good with weird." Sam stated, walking in the door. He immediately went over to Emily, kissing her passionately. He kissed all over her face, and it was evident he truly loved her. 

Lizzie and Bella both looked up as Paul and Jacob shoved each other, grinning as they walked into the room. Jacob was wearing a shirt now, but Paul continued showing off his muscled chest and abdomen, like the rest of them. 

He slowed as his gaze landed on Lizzie sitting silently at the table, face immediately pulled into a frown. She met his gaze before looking away, feeling scrutinized. Maybe he didn't like her. She probably got in his way, especially when he was freaking out before.

The rest of the room went quiet as they all witnessed the tension in the room. Paul tore his gaze away from the girl before sitting down at the table. He turned around, flashing a grin at Bella.

"Sorry." He stated before turning back around and digging into a muffin. Jacob's eyes flicked to Lizzie, who was now looking at him, expression unreadable. He cleared his throat as he stood straighter, glancing out the door.

"Liz- Elizabeth. Can I speak to you for a second?" He asked. The entire room looked to him before looking back at her, then to Paul. Lizzie ignored the stares and nodded barely, standing up and leaving her muffin untouched. She felt a little bad, she meant no disrespect to Emily, but she had so many thoughts racing through her mind, she didn't know how to process it. She didn't really have the appetite.

She followed Jacob outside, feeling a particular pair of eyes glued between her shoulder-blades as they walked away from the house. Jake led her far enough into the forest that the wolves wouldn't be able to hear their conversation. Or, at least her part, due to the fact they could read each other's minds.

"Elizabeth. I'm so sorry." Jacob said, turning around and sitting down on a tree stump. Lizzie's gaze flicked to him, and he felt the guilt twining in his chest.

"Why didn't you talk to me, Jacob?" She asked, somewhat monotonously. He looked up at her.

"You know I couldn't. Sam's orders-"

"Not about the wolves. I understand all that, and I don't fault you for it. I'm talking about Bella." Lizzie clarified, her voice icy. Jacob felt a chill race down his spine.

"I-"

"At the movie theatre, all those things you said... I know we weren't exclusive or anything Jake, but... I thought I meant more to you than that." Her voice broke, and Jacob's face fell further. 

"You do, Lizzy. Damn it, you do. I loved you. I do love you, it's just... now, you and-" He cut himself off, taking a deep breath. "I can't- I can't stay away from her. She's... I don't know. I'm so sorry." Jacob explained, shaking his head and feeling tears pool around his eyes. Lizzie felt the pieces of her heart rattle inside her chest. They were already broken, but... at least now she had a bit of closure. If that's what you could even call it.

"I'll see you around, Jake." Lizzie said solemnly. She turned her back on him before following their path back out of the forest. 

Stepping back onto the gravel driveway, Lizzie wiped a tear from her eyes. She walked back up to the cabin, standing in the doorway. Wiping another tear, she didn't notice as Paul slammed his knee against the bottom of the table, biting back a curse.

"Bella? I'm going home." She said quietly, drawing Bella's attention from her conversation with Emily. She looked up, frowning at the red splotches on her friend's face.

"Okay, I'll grab my keys-"

"It's okay. I'm gonna walk." Lizzie said, giving a pathetic smile before turning and stepping off the porch. Bella was left standing wide-eyed in the doorway, eyes following her friend as she walked down the gravel road. It was at least a few miles back to Forks, but she just... left. The wolves behind her all had half-chewed food in their open mouths, all feeling too awkward to say anything.