Chapter 18

2014:

IT WAS THE 19TH!!!

We had stayed up till 12 and wished each other before going to sleep since it was still a school night.

I had sent him the link to the playlist I had made for him yesterday night, hoping he would like it. I figured he hadn't had the time to listen to it yet but that was fine.(A/N: check comments)

Right now, I was on my way to school, and what can I say, I was wayyy to happy. It was "contagious" in Maisha's words. She had asked me why I was so happy and I had just grinned at her and said, "I woke up on the right side of the bed today!"

She had chuckled at that, not questioning it further, thankfully.

The feeling had threatened to come back but I wasn't having it. Not today, Satan. Not today. I was too over the world to let some dumb fear get to me.

During the school day, I had to reign my happiness in though. All my best friends were reincarnations of Sherlock Holmes, unfortunately.

***

I was standing near the railing, the book which was once again my reason for leaving class lay forgotten next to me, waiting for him.

When he came in, I turned toward him, grinning like an idiot. I was giddy with happiness. And by the looks of it, so was he.

He smiled at me as he made his way to the railing. His eyes were twinkling. 

Well, same pinch I guess.

He had brought me a gift.

I had kind of seen that coming. since we hadn't made gifts a thing as such, it was just the second month after all, I was prepared to not receive anything. But at the same time, knowing him, because I made a playlist for him he was going to do something in return. But the thought of receiving a gift itself was so exciting. 

I tell him I have another gift for him, pulling out a dairy milk my mom had bought for me a few days ago. Sneaking it into my room was kind of hard, but definitely worth it.

"Happy monthiversary Anquit!"

"Happy monthiversary Ish!"

He said, as he kisses me on the cheek.

I return the favour. He kisses me on the cheek again and I roll my eyes at his cheesiness.

God he was so cute. And we were being so corny right now.

If you would have told me six months ago that this is what I'd be doing now, I would have laughed in your face.

I kiss him again, except this time, I kiss him between his lips and cheeks, where his dimples would be, if he had any, that is. I don't know if I had intended to do that. Had he tilted his head before my lips touched his cheek? Well, I don't think the reason mattered.

I could feel the shift in the air around us as I did that. He looked at me, an expression I couldn't quite decipher on his face. Seconds later, he moved closer towards me, kissing me on the corner of my lips. And I think by now we both knew where this was going.

I turned towards him.

We're both facing each other, and I slowly move towards him.When my lips are just an inch away from his, I softly whisper, "Is this okay?", Referring to what I'm seconds away from doing before pulling away.

He doesn't reply. However, his eyes seem to have darkened slightly as he moves closer towards me, his hands are now on the railing on either side of me as he whispers, "It's more than okay," and leans in towards me slowly. He gives me enough space and time to back away if I want to but he's an idiot to think I'd want that. His face is angled towards one side and mine to the other. The next thing I know, his lips are pressed onto mine, and we just stay like that. My eyes have closed of their own accord. It feels like everything in the world has slowed down, or sped up, or somehow both. None of us pull away for a while. And I open my eyes to look at him. His eyes were closed and I closed back mine too, lifting my arms to wrap them around his neck. As his arms snaked around my waist.

***

It was dispersal right now. I was waiting in the van for Maisha or Anquit, whoever came first. The bell had rang while we were busy kissing and I had almost not heard it. We had left in a hurry, wiping at our lips. It had lasted a few seconds, but I was really happy it had happened. And that too on an occasion like today. I didn't want it to get awkward between us. Like kissing is just now a couple thing we do from today onwards. What's the big deal about it? Except of course Congrats! new milestone achieved! 

I still couldn't stop thinking about his gift either. It was so freaking thoughtful and I couldn't believe he had parted with it. For me. Considering how it would have been so important to him. Like he was saying, you can keep it, no matter what becomes of 'us'. And that was a scary prospect. It was also a very unwanted reminder that this might not last forever. Even if it feels like it is meant to be.

***

2021

Mrs. Sabharwal was on hitler mode once again today. Stressing everyone out. Me, Anquit and Shreya were gathered in my office, Anquit having just walked in, with something new Mrs. Sabharwal now wanted before EOD. We had roped him into helping us do it, considering our already piling workloads. So we sat there, with me and Shreya sipping on our extra-strong coffees, while Anquit sipped on a tetra pack of orange juice.

No surprise there.

We work in silence for a while, when the creaking of Shreya's chair pulling back makes us all cringe. 

"Oops, sorry about that. I'm going to get more coffee, you want some?"

"Nah, enough caffeine for me today," I said, shaking my cup to see how much I had left.

I looked up to see him staring at the pen stand on my desk. When I followed his vision, I realised he was staring at that one Parker, which was my most priced possession. Not because of its monetary cost, but its emotional value.

"Kya hua?" I asked him, even though I think I knew what had happened.

"Oh, nothing, just...that pen looks really familiar,"

I wonder why

"Oh, someone very important gave that to me a long time ago," I said as my heartbeat picked up.

"Does it still work?"

"I guess, I 've never used it, felt disrespectful."

"So all these years, it's just been a showpiece in your penstand?"

"Yeah, I guess,"

"And you didn't throw it away?"

"How could I? It was very important to him, and consequently, equally important to me. You can have it if you want though." I shrugged as if it didn't matter, even though it did.

The only reason I was offering it to him was because it was his, and he had every right to it. The thought of letting go of that pen broke my heart. But if he wanted it back, I will have to respect that.

"No, there must have been a reason he gave it to you. I'm not gonna take it." back he meant.

That was a good thing, a very good thing. I didn't think I could part with it either. It had meant a lot to me in the years. It was the only thing I had to remember him by, and had become a symbol of what we had shared.

It was what he had given me on our second monthiversary back then. It had been such a big deal, still is, to me. It was his dadaji's, who was a writer, and his dadi's after that. It had meant everything to his dadi, and she had left it to Anquit. Who had given it to me. Even today, I almost found it unbelievable that he had parted with it.