Prologue

2014

As soon as the bell for lunch rang, the entire class erupted into shouts, whistles, and laughter as the teacher tried in vain to make everyone quiet down. She'll be leaving in a few minutes anyway. I smiled to myself as I pulled out my tiffin, waiting for everyone from our gang to join us at the table we were sitting at. We went in rounds to decide whose table we gathered at but it didn't matter as long as we're all sitting together for lunch. We always shared our tiffins. After all, other people's food always tastes better than your own. The entire break passed by in a blur of jokes as we imitated all our teachers and discussed homework and tests.

With fifteen minutes left for teaching to resume, I walked out of the classroom intending to visit the washroom. Just as I left the classroom, I heard Kriansh call, "Look out for the hitler! I heard she's on round today." I just laughed it off, ignoring the sudden heavy feeling in my chest. 

As I turned into the next corridor, I took a deep breath to calm myself down and prepare myself for the possible encounter with our exceptionally strict Principal; Who I could swear had a personal vendetta against me. I knew she wouldn't miss an opportunity to call me out on a mistake I never made. We had nicknamed her hitler because of the same reason. She was occasionally kind to others but never to me.

I was lost in my thoughts as I returned from the washroom. Luckily I hadn't run into Miss. Makes-My-Life-Hell. Yet. It was almost time to return to class and I headed towards my section. I heard someone call my name, and I snapped out of my trance, turning around, spotting Maisha about five feet away, smiling, waving her hands frantically. I smiled back at her, yelling "See you at Dispersal!" to her which earned a few irritated glances from the others bustling in the corridors, scrambling to get back to their classes in time as she nodded in response.

Oops! Guess I was too loud.

The corridor was almost empty by now. Her eyes focused on someone behind me and I scrunched my eyebrows together, wondering what or who she was looking at. Was it the Principal? Oh God! Now she'll yell at me for shouting in the corridors. Just as I was about to look back, she shouted "Watch Out!" to the person she was looking at. Definitely not the Principal then.

Suddenly, I felt someone bump into me from behind and a liquid drench the backside of my uniform shirt.

How fucking wonderful! Just what I needed.

I thought to myself and turned around, ready to give a piece of my mind to whoever thought it was a good idea to crash into me and spoil my uniform as well as mood. I saw two boys looking at me, someone I'd never seen before but my age, holding a now squished tetra-pack of orange juice, looking dumb-founded and almost...apologetic? while the other openly stared at me, amusement clear on his face. I recognized him as Ansh Rathore, the troublemaker from the next class.

Before I could speak, the boy who'd spilled the orange juice on me spoke up, "I am so sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going! I didn't mean to bump into you." His tone was sincere and I felt my anger sizzle down to a slight irritation. At least he apologized. Most people at this school didn't have the decency to do that. People like Ansh. They'd just glare at you as if it was your fault that they weren't watching where they were going.

The person in front of me seemed like a new student. Who joins school in the middle of the semester anyway? People like this brown-haired, freckle-faced boy do, apparently. Why was he even hanging out with someone like Ansh, I wondered.

I pushed my inquisitive thoughts away, reminding myself that it was not my place to judge what he did or did not do. I was forced back into reality as I realized I had been staring at the two of them for goodness knows how long and by the expectant yet regretful look in the nameless boy's eyes, I could tell he was still waiting for an answer. I sighed, "It's okay. Just watch where you're going next time." He smiled and said, "I really am sorry. I owe you one." I just nodded, not knowing how to respond.

As if on cue, the bell rang. He and Ansh walked around me, returning to their class as I headed back to the washroom, class and the Principal momentarily forgotten. I had to try and get rid of the hideous stain now forming on the back of my white shirt. My mom would bite my head off when I get home.

Little did I know then, that the person I intended to give a piece of my mind to that day was the same person who'll someday have my heart.

***