𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏: 𝐐𝐮𝐢𝐜𝐤 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐏𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬

Start from the beginning

"My apologies. I am so sorry."

I looked up at a girl with dazzling blue eyes. She looked about two years elder than me. Her eyes roamed over my face, and she gasped, startling me. Before I could say anything, her hands left my arm and she turned around and left.

I stared as she disappeared into the crowd, leaving nothing for me to say.

A furrow nestled in my eyebrows, "Okay...weird."

When I unlocked the door of my apartment, surely, Collin had his headset over his ear with his fingers jabbing at the controller, eyes trained on the TV screen.

Twenty-five years and he's still obsessed with that X-Irritating-box. Ava was surely beside him too with her phone in her hand and a glass of drink in the other. That enough stated she was going to spend the night at our house once again.

Ava had short, cropped auburn hair with hazel eyes which blended with her dark features. Her features impressed warmth and gentleness but anyone would know she's anything but. Give her a bat, and she'll break every existing thing.

"Hiya Ez." Ava greeted, not taking her eyes off her phone, as I came in and shut the door.

A yawn came out of my lips as I slid off my jacket and accessories, "I hate my life."

"Once you leave that bakery, your gonna start pooping rainbows." She replied.

I chuckled whilst stifling another yawn, "I'm gonna make dinner. Do you want dinner?" I asked Collin who hasn't yet acknowledged my presence yet.

He still didn't hear me.

"DO YOU WANT DINNER?" I yelled and Ava slapped the back of his head.

His head snapped in my direction, "Oh your home." He smiled, taking off his headphones and pausing his game. "What were you saying?"

Collin had the brightest blond hair like white silk feathers that matched his sky-blue eyes. His features were completely opposite compared to Ava's. Ava had darker and Collin had lighter features. Collin had any other normal body compared to other people his age, with minimum muscles and a lean body.

"I asked if you wanted dinner," I repeated.

"Sure." He replied putting his headset back on.

I made eggs for dinner and put them on three plates, bringing him and Ava to the couch.

"Give me water too!" He yelled over the noise banging from his headset, making Ava flinch and spill her drink.

"Collin!" Ava shrieked, frowning over her drink-spilled t-shirt, "That's it, I'm raiding your closet." She stood, walking into Collin's room with Collin not even acknowledging her.

I rolled my eyes at Collin before moving into the kitchen to get him his glass of water.

I filled the glass till the top, walking back into the living room when a knock on the door made me stop in place.

I frowned in confusion and looked at the time to see it was 11 PM in the night.

Who could it be?

Collin was oblivious to the knock with his video game making banging noises in his headset.

I peeked into the peephole. No one came in sight.

Someone had covered it.

I pressed my ear to the door, with the same frown on my eyebrows. There wasn't a single sound except for Collin's constant curses and the soft noise of his video game.