𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏: 𝐐𝐮𝐢𝐜𝐤 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐏𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬

Start from the beginning

"JADE!" I yelled at her to shush her.

She only shrugged.

"Gimme one of those free cupcakes."

"Weren't you just complaining about how fat you were?"

Her eyes widened in realization, "Right! I'm on a strict diet from now on." She stated before smiling up at me. "Do you have some vegetarian cupcakes?

I shook my head. "Jade," I said. "You're not fat."

She scoffed, "Tell that to my butt."

"Jade's butt, you're not fat, okay?"

She snorted.

"Fine then don't mind me if I steal some goodies from the pantry." She stood up and walked behind the counter and opened the cabinets.

I tried stopping her. "Jade, no. Mrs. Jenna is still here."

"Tell her I paid." She spoke with her mouth already filled with chocolate pound cakes

I shook my head at her before eating some cake too.

We spent almost thirty more minutes more in the bakery and when my shift was over, we fled out into the busy streets of New York.

The street where we always separate came and Jade slapped my arm.

"Wish my luck on my study date."

I slapped her back.

"Study session." I correct.

"Shut up."

I couldn't wait to get home and snuggle into my messy bed. I already knew Collin would be playing on his dumb X-box with Ava beside him on her phone.

"Wish me luck again. I don't think I have enough lucks yet." Jade blows out a nervous breath.

"Good luck," I said.

She slaps me in the face. "Be more enthusiastic please."

I slap her back. "Good luck. Good luck. Good luck. Good luck. Good luck. Good luck—"

"Now you're just making fun of me." She scowled at me.

I shrugged.

"If I embarrass myself tonight, this is the last night you're ever gonna see me." She declared.

Before I even had time to say anything, her small body pounced on me. We both fell to the ground in the middle of the street, in the middle of the crowd.

"Ouch!" I yell.

Jade hugged me tightly. "Goodbye, Ezzy."

"Get off me!" I tried unlatching her arms from my body.

People tried to not step on us while passing by.

After a few failed attempts at getting Jade to unlatch from me, I gave out a sigh, giving up. I hugged her back. "Goodbye."

We both finally pulled away from each other and stood up, dusting our clothes.

We finally parted and went out separate ways.

Collin and Ava have been best friends for as long as I can remember. Collin works at an auto repair shop with Ava doing arts. Collin never found interest in any particular thing, so he enrolled as a mechanic after college and in the last five years he's been like that

A body collided with mine from the side sending me stumbling a bit.

"Hey!" I yelled.

Hands steadied me as fast as lightning.