FORTY || Love Is Irrelevant

Her anger mixed with confusion as she returned to the castle. How could the woman who had raised her be responsible for the destruction and chaos plaguing Persephone's life? She would have never guessed it would be her mother who would be the one to plot against her. She had believed fervently that her mother was innocent. But Hades had predicted this. He had seen it coming. He had warned her that her mother's anger would not be diminished. That traditionally, Demeter was not forgiving.

Her pace quickened into a run as she entered the castle's open corridor. She knew she had to find her mother. Hecate was right, an unknown enemy was dangerous. But one that was blindly welcomed into her home was even more so. She had invited her mother into the heart of her home without even second-guessing her decision, only to find out the monster they had been searching for was right before them, staying in their home and eating at their table. Persephone only hoped she had not caused too much irreversible damage. She knew her mother could not be permitted to stay a second longer. Persephone continued to search, knowing her mother would undoubtedly be up with the early morning sun.

Once Persephone did spot her mother, it took her breath away. She could not force herself to take another step, for the closer she got, the sooner she would have to disappoint her mother yet again. Though her mother was the one to start everything and the reason behind every hardship, it still would not make what she had to do any easier.

Even though she was a fair distance away, her mother had still spotted her. Persephone watched as a kind smile was offered to her. The kind she, as a child, had always worked so hard to earn.

"Daughter." Demeter greeted once she had walked to where Persephone stood perfectly still in the corridor.

"Mother," Persephone greeted in the only way she could without shouting angrily at her. She knew screaming angry words would come soon enough, but for this second, she could stop and dream that everything was peaceful. That her mother didn't hate her and her throne with Hades was safe and secure. Her moment of peace didn't last long as Minthe's words echoed in her head. Her mother's betrayal could not be forgotten. Or forgiven. No matter how badly she wanted it to be.

Persephone watched as Demeter inspected a rose that had just begun to bloom. "Persephone, this garden is beautiful for what you had to work with. Of course, the flowers do not grow as they would under the sun, but they are still beautiful." Persephone heard the sting her mother had purposely laid into her compliment. Of course, Persephone could do nothing perfect while here in the Underworld. In her mother's eyes, she would always be tainted.

She simply ignored her mother's comment knowing it would be useless to draw out the inevitable conversation that needed to happen, "Mother, we must talk."

"Of course, Kore, what is it?" Her mother turned to her and took in her ragged appearance. "You look ill."

"I wish for you to leave," she told her, trying to use as much authority as she could, once again ignoring her mother.

She watched as Demeter's face sank instantly, "To leave? But why?"

"Do not play coy with me. I am no longer a small goddess, and I know what you have done." Persephone spat.

"I haven't done anything, Kore. Whatever has Hades told you?" she asked, crossing her arms over her chest as if Persephone was the one who had something to be ashamed of.

"He has nothing to do with this." She shook her head, "This is no one's fault but your own. I know you are plotting against Hades and that you are aligning forces against my husband and me. Your nymph told me of your plot herself." Persephone told her mother. She didn't look shocked nor attempt to deny Persephone's accusations. Instead, Demeter only sighed as if it was a minor inconvenience. She merely looked annoyed.