Chapter 4

So it was that both Natsu and Gray were brought up as sons of Laxus. Sons who were looked after and cared for by all who served in the house hold. Most notably, Levy. She proved herself to be more than an excellent nurse to the boys and luckily no one ever suspected her of being Gray's true mother. Of course it was not easy for her to act as if he wasn't her own especially during those occasional fits he would throw and she ended up being the only one who could soothe the infant. Or how baby Gray much preferred to be suckled by her rather than Mirajane. But despite the subtle hints, no one made the connection.

Natsu in time forgot all about how Gray had been found adrift in the river and was led to believe that he was in fact his biological brother. The two were inseparable. They were always together whenever it was allowed and they were rambunctious as all young boys are. Racing chariots, playing tricks on the high priests, teasing the alligators and hippos who swam in the Nile, even defacing the idols of the Egyptian gods. Oh what a pair those two were.

Natsu was the more outspoken and reckless of the two. If there ever were any mischief, he was the one who typically started it. He was also very arrogant and prideful, one reason because the boy had been gifted with incredible strength that could one day surpass even that of Pharaoh's best soldier. But arrogance aside Natsu was brave, honorable, and completely loyal to his family.

Gray more humble and shy. Being the youngest, he naturally followed suit with whatever Natsu did but he was definitely the more likely to think before acting than his brother. From an early age he displayed remarkable intellect and fast learning capabilities, blessed with the wit and cleverness of a fox. But his best qualities would most likely be his endurance, willingness to empathize with others, and a seemingly unbreakable sense of faith.

Mirajane loved and doted on both boys. Everyday they always did something that made her so proud to be their mother. Sometimes Natsu would surprise her with a lotus flower or a beautifully carved sculpture. Other times Gray would play a lovely song for her on the flute or dance with her to lift her spirits. In her eyes they were completely equal. Her perfect sons. Her princes.

But the same could not be said for Laxus. Now he treated them both well but it was no secret that he favored Natsu over Gray. For years he had told Natsu that he was the brightest star and the pride of their family while barely finding anything to say about Gray. Whenever the boys got into trouble as most boys will do, Gray was always the one Laxus blamed even if Natsu was the instigator which made the younger boy feel very belittled and ashamed. The favoritism only became worse when the boys reached schooling age.

While Natsu excelled in the subjects of combat and craftsmanship it was Gray who proved to be more advanced in the subjects of mathematics, writing, astronomy, and music which angered Laxus greatly for you see he wanted his favorite son to be superior in both strength and mind. Now Natsu was by no means dumb he just had a more difficult time understanding subjects involved with wit rather than the strength. The only non physical subject Natsu surpassed Gray in was the subject of the polytheistic religion in which the Egyptians worshipped but that was because Levy had been secretly schooling Gray in her monotheistic faith.

Now she knew how risky it was to do such a thing especially considering that Egyptians did not take kindly to any religion other than their own but if she could not raise her own son as a Hebrew the least she could do was bring him up to be God fearing for she believed that it was God that had saved her son's life and that the boy should know and respect his savior. But her lesson to him on her faith was always private and she swore him to secrecy on the matter.

"Why can't I tell anyone about God, Levy?" The young boy asked her one time. "If he is truly so wonderful and if he is truly the one true God, why keep it a secret?"