Chapter 2

Poor Levy had spent hours crying her eyes out while Gajeel prayed to God for a solution but it appeared that no answer would be given. Not verbally that is. Desperate to keep their child from being killed, Gajeel and Levy concluded that their only option was to somehow flee from Egypt before it was born. Now they weren't the only slaves who had the idea to run away but nearly every slave who tried ended up killed or recaptured. Escaping was a very risky act but considering that staying would result in the death of their child, Gajeel and Levy chose to take that risk.

For six months they carefully planned their escape while secretly stealing enough materials to sustain them at least until they found fertile land. Food, water, a weapon or two, and a basket to use as a cradle for the infant. They were also careful to conceal Levy's pregnancy by making sure that no one saw her growing belly. Once they had enough materials and were informed of a night when few soldiers would be around the two were ready to leave.

But fate can be very cruel. The moment they were about to leave was the exact moment that their child was ready to be born. Levy endured painful labor that lasted long into the night yet she did not scream or cry out once for that would risk alerting the soldiers. It was the wee hours of the morning when she had finally birthed a healthy baby boy and by then she was much too weak for any journey so their escape was delayed. As she recovered both she and her husband did everything in their power to keep their son hidden. He was never seen by anyone but them and whenever he cried, a loyal friend of theirs would make loud noises to drown out the infant's cries while his parents soothed him with lullabies and music. Oh how they hoped that it work until they were safe and far from Egypt.

"Do you have everything?" Levy asked her husband the day of their second escape attempt.

"Yes." He answered after double checking the satchel of supplies he had packed. "But we must hurry. I think one of the soldiers heard him crying last night."

"Alright." Levy lifted her baby from the cradle, swaddled him in her shawl, and held him close.

"Is he calm?" Gajeel asked.

"He has been fed so he should not fuss for sometime." Levy assured him. "But Gajeel where shall we go? The only thing out there is desert."

"I'm not entirely sure but I've heard of a place called Midian, that the people there are God fearing like us. Maybe they'll help us, maybe they won't. But either way any place is better than here."

She then grabbed the basket she had weaved and with her husband slipped out their hut as unseen as they could be. They moved quickly and quietly, staying close to the shadows and out of sight the best that their abilities would allow. But one especially watchful soldier spotted them and thought them to be suspicious.

"Halt!" He shouted. "What are you doing? Why do you carry so much?"

"Run Levy." Gajeel said. "I'll hold them off while you escape."

"But Gajeel-"

"If we are both captured then our son is dead! There's no argument!"

Though reluctant to leave her husband she knew his words to be true. So she ran while he stayed behind to keep the soldiers from going after her.

"Stop that woman!" One soldier shouted. "She's trying to escape!"

Gajeel was strong and Levy was fast but there were just too many soldiers. He was eventually overpowered and she would inevitably be caught.