chapter seven

⊱ ━━━━.⋅ εïз ⋅.━━━━ ⊰

❝ you're dead ❞
❝ well, technically so are you ❞

❝ you're dead ❞❝ well, technically so are you ❞

⊱ ━━━━.⋅ εïз ⋅.━━━━ ⊰

THE AVENGERS came back to 2023 through their Quantum tunnel, and everyone seemed to be intact. They looked around, glancing at each other briefly and not noticing a missing member just yet.

"Did we get it all?" Bruce asked, looking around. "You telling me this all worked?" Rhodes asked as he walked over since he stayed back in the compound.

But then their eyes landed on Bucky who looked down to his feet, seemingly still shaken over something. There was a pause, a long one, as everyone realised there was someone missing.

"Bucky?" Steve called out.

"Where's Nova?" Wanda asked, taking closer steps towards the soldier.

He stayed silent, not even meeting their eyes as he stepped out of the machine. His silence was enough, as everyone began to realise that their mission was completed and successful but at a dire cost. There was a heavy wave of silence that seemed to weigh on everyone, silently mourning the loss of a fellow avenger.

━━━━

BUCKY STARED off into the distance as Steve leaned onto the pillar next to him, arms crossed over his chest. "It should've been me," Bucky said softly, and for the first time they heard his vulnerability.

"No, it shouldn't even have to be any of you," Steve responded.

"We can bring her back. Right? We have the stones, we just do the snap and then we'll have her and the rest of the world back," Natasha said, looking around in an attempt to find some sort of confirmation from anyone.

"We can't bring her back," Bucky stated.

"What do you mean, we can't?" Wanda asked the man. "There has to be a way—"

"It can't be undone. There's nothing we can do," he shook his head, still not even sparing a glance at the team. "An everlasting exchange. That's what the Red Skull said."

Silence fell over them once again as sadness washed over each and everyone of them. Sure, they haven't known her for long. Hell they barely knew her for two weeks. But the queen gave them hope the day she showed up through the portal. She was the one who managed to lift their spirits and make them want to go back and fix things again.