Chapter 26

Ronan immediately rushed home with a few officers after Lillian called him. He ran inside to find her in tears sitting on the stairs.

"She took Kiara."

"Who?" Ronan let one of the EMTs pass him to help patch up Lillian.

"That girl Marissa. I don't know why, but she came by pretending to have something for Kiara. I closed my eyes for a second and then I was hit with the vase." Lillian winced as the paramedic cleaned the small cuts.

"Ma'am, are there any more injuries?" The woman asked as she shone a light into Lillian's eyes.

"No, I'm fine. I just have a headache." Lillian recoiled from her hand. "We need to find Kiara. I don't know what's going on but it can't be good."

Cars pulled up outside of the house and Kiara's friends rushed in when they saw all the officers and the flashing lights of their patrol cars.

"What happened?" Garrett asked.

Michael looked around the room. "Where's Kiara?"

Ronan excused himself to talk to his subordinates. The group turned to Lillian for answers and she briefly explained what happened.

"I knew that witch was evil," Kat growled out.

Alisson hugged herself. "Why would she do this?"

"I don't know, but she's gone crazy with jealousy ever since Kiara showed up." Michael paced back and forth. "We have to help them find her."

"I can't let you do that." Ronan stood behind them. He halted their protests. "We don't know if she is doing this on her own or if she was somehow convinced by T—our suspect. We also don't know what her plan is. You could be put into danger if she has a weapon."

Dani looked at her friends before turning to Ronan in defiance. "I don't care if she's deranged and wielding a knife. Kiara is possibly in danger and you need as many eyes as you can get to watch out for her. If we find her, we won't approach her."

Ronan sighed before looking at Lillian. Her face was bruising already and he could only imagine what would happen to Kiara if this was what Marissa could do to someone who wasn't her real target. "Fine. But the second you find her, you call me."

After they made a plan with the other officers, all the cars sped off with their lights on, looking for Marissa and Kiara.

**

Kiara's eyes fluttered open. Her head throbbed and she could feel something tickle her temple. She was sitting up against the wall and it was completely dark. She blinked a few times hoping to clear away her dizziness and figure out where she was.

She groaned as she grazed a finger against her head. She started to remember what happened and suddenly sprang upright. She winced as pain pulsated behind her eyes.

She could hear a noise from further away that sounded like footsteps. She knew she had to figure out where she was and get help. Marissa was obviously unstable. Kiara didn't want to find out what Marissa had in store for her.

Slowly, Kiara extended her arms. Her right hand brushed against a light fabric and her left didn't need to reach far before making contact with wood. A door? Kiara continued to search blindly and realized she was seated in a closet. Why had Marissa put her in here? She listened for any noise and heard low humming.

Kiara realized the door was made out of wooden slats, like blinds and looked through, trying to orient herself and find an escape route. There was a bed covered in moth-eaten covers, the shelves that had once been colorful were covered in a thick layer of dust and cobwebs. Children's toys scattered the floor.