Chapter 7

It was the end of the school day and the hallways emptied out faster than a cookie jar in a kindergarten. It was Friday and everyone had made plans that did not involve staying in school longer than necessary. Kiara, Dani, and Kat were standing at their lockers waiting for the others to assemble. Lillian and Ronan were apprehensive at first about letting Kiara go out. Ronan was the first to give in and then convinced Lillian that it would be good for Kiara to hang out with her new friends.

Kiara was extremely relieved they relented, but she slept fitfully. She worried her friends would ask her more personal questions as they wanted her to come so they could get to know her better. Kiara built up scenarios in her head, thinking of ways she could answer or avoid questions. However, by this time after school, Kiara forgot about her worries and was excited to experience life as someone normal, not someone who had been mostly confined to their home for the last twelve years.

Dani impatiently glanced at the watch on her wrist. "What is taking them so long? I am starving!"

Kat made a sound in agreement. "I bet Garrett stopped by Mr. Aqueel's room. That nerd just can't get enough of school."

The three of them laughed. "Does he stay behind often?" Kiara asked through laughter.

Before Dani responded, a voice called from behind Kiara, "Sorry it took us so long. Our resident genius over here wanted to get started on the extra credit work for the year." Michael walked down the stairs beside Garrett, and Devon followed. Garrett scowled at the comment and crossed his arms.

"Well, this is certainly ruining the perfect hang out we wanted to show Kiara." Devon walked over and put his arm around Kiara's shoulder. Dani and Kat gave each other knowing looks.

Kiara shook Devon's arm off and looked at all of them. "You're all so dramatic," she remarked and then quietly to herself, "Just like Matt said high school students are."

Kat clapped her hands to get everyone's attention. "Alright, Alisson and Austin are waiting at the cars. So, we decided that Austin is driving Dani, Alisson, and me, and Devon is driving Michael, Garrett, and Kiara." Kat paused for a moment and looked at Dani and momentarily held a silent conversation. They walked towards the parking lot and Dani pulled Kiara to the side and whispered, "Are you alright being in a car with just the guys?" She felt bad for the way the carpool had been decided and wanted to make sure Kiara felt comfortable.

Kiara was a bit confused by the question. "Yeah, I don't see why I wouldn't be." If she was being completely honest, she was more comfortable around guys because she hadn't had any female friends back home. She was worried that she wouldn't have anything to say to them without them thinking she was weird.

They were in the parking lot now and walking towards where Alisson and Austin stood. Dani seemed to relax, but only a little bit. "As long as you're comfortable." She thought for a moment before speaking again, "Kat and I want to talk to you later. We'll take Alisson and separate from the guys for a bit." With that said, Dani walked away from Kiara and towards Austin.

Kiara was more confused now than she had previously been. What could they possibly want to talk about, just girls? A tap on her shoulder brought her out of her thoughts. She turned and Michael smiled at her. "You coming?" Kiara returned the smile and nodded. They walked towards a silver Honda, Devon was already in the driver's seat and Garrett had sat in behind him. "Do you want shotgun?" Michael asked.

Kiara shrugged her shoulders but before she could vocalize her indifference, Michael had already opened the back door for himself. "You take the front since you're the 'guest of honour.' But just know that this is the only time that I will give up my front seat."