Chapter 21

Over the next few weeks, Ronan was rarely at home due to the murder cases that continued to pile up. At first the police hoped this was an isolated case, that this woman had been killed out of a personal feud or attack; however, as a new woman was killed each week, the police grew doubtful. The victims were all women who were beaten beyond recognition and had red hair. Ronan wasn't sleeping because he had an awful feeling that this serial case was only getting worse.

So far, there were four bodies, and each new body was found within the city limits. The latest victim was found in Todd Lake Park. What stood out most to the police was that this young woman's hair was dyed red. At first the police thought nothing of it, that it was part of the killers M.O. to kill women with ginger hair, but once they talked to family and friends, they discovered that she had never dyed her hair.

The local papers were allowed to report the deaths, but not allowed to give details as the police were trying to avoid creating mass panic. Despite their best efforts, it wasn't difficult for everyone to know that the murders were connected because of the media coverage.

Ronan stood in front of all of the victims' personal affects, trying to find something that connected these women beyond the hair color and the way in which they were killed.

"Lieutenant Ronan." Officer Garcia knocked on the door to the conference room. "The detectives wanted to know if you've found anything."

Ronan leaned on the table and continued to glare at the evidence. "Not yet."

Officer Garcia remained silent momentarily before stepping closer to the table. "Forgive me if I am over stepping my boundaries, but I don't think staring at the evidence all day will help you find what you're looking for. Maybe... maybe if you go home and get some rest, you'll find what you need." Her voice trailed off at the end as she saw Ronan's knuckles turn white.

Ronan breathed deeply, trying to keep his frustration at bay. He couldn't understand how these women were chosen. They didn't have the same jobs; one was a barista, two were students, and one worked as a bank teller. None of the women had any significant contact with each other. The only connection was the ginger hair, but that was ruled out with the last victim. He sighed, "I think you're right. I'm just frustrating myself and making it worse for everyone."

Officer Garcia smiled gently. "I can let the Captain know that you're leaving."

"That'd be great. Tell her I'll be back for the shift change." Ronan packed away the evidence as he spoke and took it back to the evidence locker. He then grabbed his winter coat and his bag.

Stepping outside, his cheeks stung from the cold winter wind and his breath puffed out in front of him. It brought back his early days as a detective when he would smoke to relieve the stress of the job. Despite having quit, he was tempted to stop by a gas station and buy a pack. He quickly shook the thought from his head and ran to his car.

The engine started with a groan and he was enveloped in the heat blasting from his car. He looked at the time as he drove away; Kiara would be done school in an hour. He couldn't wait to relax at home for a few hours, spend time with his wife and niece and forget about the stress at the station.

**

Kiara sat in her last class of the day with Garrett and Devon, waiting for the bell to ring. Today being the second to last day before the Christmas break, many of the students were anxious for classes to be done. Everyone's knees were bouncing and pencils were tapping as they watched the clock tick by. They were, of course, supposed to focus on Mrs. Zhao's lecture, but freedom from school was far more important.

Kiara watched the snowflakes fall in a flurry of white, joining to form a fresh blanket on the ground. It was pure white now but would soon be trampled by the boots of fleeing students. It's quite fitting, Kiara thought, as there is nothing perfect in this world, and if there is, it doesn't last long.