Chapter 20

Kiara had returned from her trip with a giddy feeling. It was hard not to after sharing more kisses with Matt and spending time with her grandparents and his family. It was the perfect weekend that momentarily let her forget the problems back in Port Valeau, and in a perfect world it wouldn't have to end. Kiara left on Sunday with a promise to see them again soon. Matt's long goodbye was the last encouragement she needed to finally board the plane.

At school, weeks after the Halloween incident, students still took second glances at Kiara when she passed in the hallways. She didn't mind, at least, not at first; however, as it was now nearing the end of November, Kiara wanted the staring to stop. The group kept their promise and stayed with Kiara at all times. If she was going to the bathroom during breaks, at least one of the girls went with her. Someone was always there to pick her up and walk with her to the next class. Despite the notes that were waiting for her every morning, she felt safer with her friends around. Her weekend away from Port Valeau also helped put the past few months into perspective. She could get through this with the help of her friends and family.

Nothing was discovered about the person that tried to grab her at the party. She had an idea of who it was, but without any proof and without any motive, there was no point in telling Ronan of her suspicion. The others also placed their suspicions on Marissa when they heard that it was a female who tried to grab Kiara.

Marissa had been endlessly targeting Kiara from the first weeks of school. Going so far as to blame her for cheating and almost getting her suspended. Of course, more teachers and students would take Kiara's side if it really came down to it. Marissa was overly competitive and snobby when it came to school which didn't sit right with a lot of people. But suddenly, after endlessly bullying Kiara, it all stopped after the party.

"Don't you think it's weird that she doesn't comment on anything anymore or try to push you in the hall?" Michael asked.

Kiara continued to paint one of the headstones for the play. She briefly glanced at Marissa who was on stage. "I thought it was odd too, but maybe she decided to back off? It's pretty childish to bully someone over grades."

Michael's paint brush hung carelessly between his fingers, dripping paint onto the newspapers below. "It's not just about grades for her. It's about popularity and superiority. If she has the best grades on top of being school president, then she feels like she's better than everyone." Michael watched as Mr. DeWalt gave Marissa some notes while Garrett glared at her from the side.

"Maybe she's trying to focus on the play that opens next week. Which you should be doing too since we still have to finish the graveyard and the thrones."

Michael waved his hand, flicking around grey droplets. "Yeah, yeah. I'll get to it. I'll forget about her for now, but you should still be careful."

Be careful. That was all Kiara had heard since the accident. Whether it was her friends saying it or her guardians. She knew they all meant well, but she was already being as careful as she could. No more walking by herself. No late-night hang outs around town.

Matt called her often and Kiara was thankful to hear his voice more often or see him if they video chatted. He was a breath of fresh air to her, as cliché as it was. He was far away from all this drama and he could easily take her mind off of it. Their conversations sometimes turned into planning for dates they could go on when she came to visit or once they graduated. They hadn't really talked about their relationship changing, but rather the kiss seemed to have opened their eyes to what was between them all along. They didn't need to act differently or put a label on it. They were still Kiara and Matt and all the nuances that came with that.

"Kiara! Quit daydreaming and keep painting. These sets need to be ready for final rehearsals!" Another change since Halloween, was Mr. DeWalt. His hair sat messily on his head because he was constantly running his fingers through it. He had deep, dark circles around his bulging eyes. His face was unshaven. And his shirts were partially tucked into his pants and his ties hung loosely around his neck.