Chapter 15

Kiara woke up that morning with a feeling of dread settled in the pit of her stomach. A few days ago, when they had seen the car speed away, they all grew paranoid that someone was watching them. The two following days were filled with messages from her friends asking her if she had seen the car again. At school they kept careful watch for the familiar car, but no one had spotted it yet. Kiara felt how sunken her eyes must look. She barely slept as the paranoia of someone following her mixed with the nightmares of the grinning man.

She climbed out of bed and gathered her clothes for school. She crept downstairs and into the bathroom, hoping that the steam from the hot shower would cure her not only of her sleepiness but also her anxiety. The hot water cascaded onto her; the droplets trickled down her skin. A pink tinge slowly crept onto her shoulders, fading away her freckles. Kiara swayed slightly as her chest tightened. The heat crushed her lungs. She quickly turned the nozzle cutting off the water. Leaning against the cold tiles, she took deep breaths.

"Kiara?" Lillian knocked on the bathroom door, "are you almost done? I still need to shower before dropping you off." Kiara stayed silent, still catching her breath. "Kiara?"

"Y-yeah. I'll be right out." Kiara stepped out of the shower and dried off. She stood in front of the fogged-up mirror. Her reflection was distorted. She couldn't remember a time when her life wasn't as hazy and unclear as the mirror image. Ever since she moved back and found out that the man who had hurt her family in the most unspeakable way was still out there, she was plagued with nightmares. While she would normally go on a run to get away from the nightmares, the fear and paranoia was keeping her trapped. She dressed and heaved a sigh, putting on a fake smile for Lillian who stood outside the bathroom.

Lillian looked Kiara up and down, pausing on the dark circles around her eyes. "Sweetheart, are you still having nightmares?" Concern etched itself in her furrowed brow. Reaching out, Lillian placed a soft hand against Kiara's cheek.

Kiara smiled, convincingly she hoped, and waved away Lillian's concern, "I was up late working on an assignment for school and then I couldn't sleep." Despite her best efforts, Kiara looked exhausted and the concerned look remained on Lillian's face.

"If you're sure that's all..." Lillian moved her hand from Kiara's cheek and gently comb her fingers through Kiara's hair. "You know that if you need to talk to someone, Ronan and I will always be here for you. No matter what."

Tears pricked at Kiara's eyes and her smile wavered. She knew that telling Ronan and Lillian about being watched was the smart thing to do, but she was also aware that telling them meant possibly being put under surveillance or even house arrest. She leaned forward and wrapped her arms around Lillian, trying to hide the fact that she was close to tears. "I know," her voice was a mere whisper. Lillian squeezed her back, knowing that something was bothering her niece. Despite the nagging feeling that told her to demand the truth, she knew that patience was the best option in this situation. When Kiara was ready to talk, they would be ready to listen.

Lillian gave her another quick squeeze before reminding her that both of them would be running late if they didn't get going. Kiara left to get her bag and Lillian quickly hopped into the shower. Ronan was still asleep, having worked a nightshift at the station.

After a silent car ride, Kiara stepped out of the car with a quick kiss to Lillian's cheek. There was a chill in the air as October was coming to an end. The orange leaves covered everything in sight making the early morning look brighter as the sun reflected off the bright colour. Kiara felt the heat of the school kiss the apples of her cheeks once she stepped inside and waded through the crowds to her locker. A few students waved at her or smiled. Although there were quite a few people at the school already, their conversations were hushed and half-asleep. Dani was at her morning cheer practice and Kat was at a tutoring session with Devon, so Kiara was alone at her locker.