Chapter 4

A week had come and gone. Kiara had spent her time buying school supplies and a few new clothes for school. What her guardians didn't know was that she had also been walking past the hidden house every opportunity she had; something was bothering her about it, but she couldn't understand what it was. Now was the time for her to face the music and begin her school career in an actual school. Kiara woke up at 5 due to her nerves. How would she get through this day without throwing up?

She stood in front of the mirror in her bedroom, fully dressed in a floral print skirt with a burgundy top tucked into it. She was giving herself a pep talk, while untucking her shirt only to put it back. Kiara was obsessing over her appearance, worrying that her hair was too frizzy, her freckles too noticeable. Maybe a skirt was too dressed up for school, she should just wear pants. "Kiara! Come grab some breakfast before I drop you off at school!"

Kiara glanced at herself one last time before breathing deeply, "You are beautiful so who cares what anyone thinks." She remembered her grandmother always whispering those words whenever she felt self-conscious. Kiara grabbed her backpack and cell phone, gave a nod to her reflection and went downstairs.

Ronan had already left for work and Lillian was sitting at the table sipping her coffee. Kiara sat down and ate some eggs, but the queasy feeling in her stomach was only getting worse the closer it came to eight o'clock. She noticed her hand was slightly shaking. Lillian also noticed the tremble. "Are you nervous about starting public school?"

Kiara clasped her hands together and tried to breathe deeply. "I know it's silly to be nervous about something like school- "

"It's not silly. Everyone gets nervous for school, especially when they are starting at a new school." Lillian tucked Kiara's rusty waves behind her ear.

"I guess... It's just that I don't know anyone my age and I've never actually been to a school. I don't know how anything works there and I don't want people to think I'm weird because of that."

Lillian pursed her lips and thought hard. "Do you really think people would make fun of you for being homeschooled?" Kiara nodded. "Well you've been watching too many movies. Sure, kids can be mean, but being homeschooled is nothing to be ashamed of. You know the reason why you were homeschooled, you don't have to tell anyone why. You don't even have to tell them you were homeschooled, just tell them that your school was very different from this one. It's not exactly a lie, just an omission of truth."

Kiara began to feel better. Lillian was right, she didn't have to tell people she was homeschooled, and she was new so it would make sense for her to look lost. Kiara smiled at Lillian and finished her breakfast before they left to drive to school.

**

Kramer High School was an enormous building. The school had two parking lots to either side of it and what looked like a lot of grassy space for sports teams. The building itself was brick and glass, and unlike the high schools in many of the movies and TV shows Kiara had seen, this one did not look like a prison. Teens were getting off of buses, walking out of parking lots, and getting out of cars. There were so many people walking into the building and standing outside on the lawn talking with friends. Kiara could tell that it was the first day of school because many friends were hugging one another as if they hadn't seen each other since before summer. Giving herself one last pep talk, Kiara stepped out onto the sidewalk. Lillian stopped her before she closed the door, "I'm sorry that I can't come inside with you. The office is just through those doors and to the right, really easy to find! Ronan or I will pick you up at the end of the day. Have fun and don't worry about what others think!" Kiara thanked Lillian and closed the door.

Kiara turned towards the school and made her way inside. There were so many conversations going on and everyone looked happy to be back. Many of the kids looked really friendly and Kiara prayed that she would make at least one friend. She walked through the door and turned to the right, finding the office. There were many secretaries throughout the large room and Kiara stood quietly, deciding whether she should approach one of them or wait to be called on. Her answer came when a secretary looked up, "can I help you?" The lady smiled at Kiara and beckoned her forward.