Chapter 19

Walking through the halls the next day, Kiara tried to avoid eye contact with the rest of the students. They all pointed and whispered, reminding her of the first weeks at the school. It was no secret, what happened at the party—as if her bruised face and shaved hair weren't the first indication.

Kiara, although embarrassed at first, huffed out in annoyance when she reached her locker. Didn't they have anything better to do? With the recent incident, Kiara hoped the stalker would cool off, but as she opened her locker and saw the picture taped to the inside, she knew there was no point in hoping. She angrily ripped off the picture, feeling something smudge against her fingers. Kiara turned the picture and stared at the still wet, red ink.

'Next time, you won't end up with just a few stitches.'

Kiara's hand shook as she took in the blatant threat. Her stalker had moved on from veiled messages. She took out her phone and immediately called Ronan.

"Kiara, what's wrong?"

"I got another picture. The ink wasn't even dry yet." Kiara looked around the hallways. Everyone was still occasionally glancing her way.

"I'm coming to get you."

"Wh—Ronan, don't do that! I don't need to put under lock and key."

Ronan sighed in frustration. "You shouldn't have gone to school today. I still need forensics to go over the pictures and until we have a clue as to who is giving these to you, you should be somewhere safe."

Kiara saw her friends coming towards her. "I'm safe at school. I have my friends here with me and the teachers. Nothing will happen."

"Kiara," she could hear the strain in his voice to not yell, "this person is putting these things in your locker and your school books. How is the school any safer than being at home? And before you argue that you are surrounded by people, remember that someone tried to grab you at a party."

Michael gave Kiara a questioning look as she groaned. She handed him the picture and continued to talk to Ronan. "Yes, but I was alone at the party when they tried to grab me. I promise that if I feel unsafe, I will call. Please just let me feel normal by leaving me at school."

Ronan huffed. "Fine. But we are talking about this tonight."

Hanging up, Kiara turned to her friends who were circled around the picture. "Looks like they're not cooling off any time soon."

"Are you sure you should be at school?" Alisson asked softly.

"Yes. Nothing will happen here. I am surrounded by people and won't go off alone. If I go home, I am by myself until Lillian and Ronan come home."

Garrett gave her a sympathetic pat on the shoulder. "We'll stick to you as much as we can. You have a class with just about every one of us, right?"

Kiara nodded and stuffed the picture into her backpack. "I just have history by myself."

The bell rang and the halls began to empty as people moved to their classes. "Great! I'll walk you there since I have psychology right now." Michael hooked his arm around her shoulder and steered her in the right direction.

Kiara waved to the rest of the group and silently walked with Michael to her first class. The two also parted ways with a promise from Michael that he would be standing outside her class once the bell rang.

**

Ronan paced behind the analyst as she dusted the photos and notes for prints, especially the envelope that Kiara first received. "Ronan, no amount of pacing will make this process speed up." Anna turned to face the man who was wearing a path into the floor.