Janhavi looked at her and she immediately softened at her sullen face. "You are the only child that lives in the same city as us." She said, cupping her face. "Your brothers stay in the other corners of the country. We know that you are busy handling two jobs, but we also want to see you, even if it is for a minute."

Akanksha didn't say anything and stepped forward to hug her. She slowly wrapped her arms around her and hugged her beloved Aunt.

Nothing was said by her side, only feelings were felt.

"Janhavi, who's there?" A guttural voice echoed from upstairs making the aunt-daughter break their hug.

They heard the approaching footsteps, echoing sharply through the quiet house and sounding overly loud to their ears.

Soon the man came where all of them stood, looking at them carefully through his sharp black irises.

Akanksha stepped ahead, and blabbered, "Before you say anything, I am really sorry Chachu. I was extremely busy-" The house mellowed with the booming laughter by Mukesh Agarwal, cutting her off.

Looking at her lost face, he moved towards her and kissed her forehead, taking her in his embrace.

Akanksha could feel the same warmth that she once used to feel when things were far better between her and her father. When she was the light of his life, the reason for all the happiness. When she was the blessing of all their good deeds.

She felt a sudden pit of emptiness within her. No matter how much she tried to keep her mind off them, they had always managed to make a space. It bothered her.

At this point, she had nothing to do with them. After all that went down. But, it is okay to feel bad, right?

"How's my girl?" Mukesh asked, placing his hand on her head.

"First class," she said, smiling at his affection.

Mukesh tilted his head slightly and looked at the man standing behind her. His jaw visibly hardened and he pulled his niece to his side.

"Anika had told me that he was good but what was the need to bring him here?" He gritted out in her ear.

Akanksha hadn't expected this sort of reaction from him. But then again, the news of Vihaan's abandonment was obviously known to him.

"Chachu, please," she requested, "he's really not what you think. He's just misunderstood." She explained.

Vihaan joined his hands and slightly bowed, giving his regards to him. Mukesh, looking at his niece's pleading face, slightly nodded at him and sat with Akanksha followed by Janhavi and Vihaan.

* * *

"The food is really good Chachi," Vihaan complimented, stuffing another spoon of pulao in his mouth. Janhavi who was elated by his constant praises throughout the dinner, stuffed his plate with more pulao, urging him to eat more.

The dining area carried a happy vibe with the chatters on the table interwoven with the aroma of their meal together.

Vihaan observed Akanksha as she was happily chatting with her uncle.

He had so much to admire about her but her raw honesty was the best part. He loved how her words spilt out real slow as if the truth could take its time. It's as if there's a force behind those words, the kind that is respectful and quiet — a determination that's observant and patient. And in those words was wonderful compassion, an awareness of the vulnerability of others, of the sort that is born out of a painful experience.

Her behaviour was different for everyone. She was calm and composed with him, she was loving and compassionate with elders, she was goofy with her friends and her sister. He had never seen her being rude to anyone; not even with her parents. Suddenly everything about her seemed admirable to him.