Chapter 4

1/20/2021 - Author's Note
big self harm trigger warning for this chapter! i'm sorry for not putting one before - i was 13 when i wrote this but i'm going through now to try and TW everything :)

*HANNAH'S POV*

Act? What act? Niall thinks this is an act? Well that's kind of obnoxious, don't you think? At the moment, I'm sitting on the couch watching some movie, while the boys talked in another room. Probably talking about where they were going to send me. Not that I care. I want to leave. I don't like it here.

"Hannah, can you come here?" One of the boys called. I slowly got up and followed his voice to a red room.

"Would you like to explain to us why you ran off?" Niall crossed his arms.

"I, uhhhhh......"

"You uh what?" Niall snapped, startling me. "Mate, calm down." Liam put a hand on Niall's shoulder.

"Was scared." I whispered. "Scared? What do you possibly have to be scared of?" Niall shouted.

"THAT!" Was my reply.

"What?" Niall said, softer.

"YOU! HARRY! LIAM! LOUIS! ZAYN!" I saw sadness appear on each boy's faces as I said their names. "MY DAD. JAMES. EVERY MAN THAT HAS EVER BEEN IN MY LIFE!" I collapsed to the ground and sobbed. Again.

"Would you like to explain what you mean by that?" Louis bent down next to me. I shook my head. "Come on, Hannah Banana." He joked. I shook my head again.

"Hannah, look. We know this must be hard for you--" Liam said.

"NO! YOU DON'T KNOW! YOU HAVEN'T BEEN IN A BLOODY ORPHANAGE FOR HALF YOUR LIFE! YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I FEEL LIKE RIGHT NOW!" I shouted. My throat felt like I had swallowed sandpaper.

"Hannah." Zayn looked straight into my eyes, bending down to my level. "Who's James?"

I stared at my fingernail.

"Who's James?" Niall said it this time, much harsher than Zayn. I still didn't answer. "Hannah. At least tell me what this is from?" Zayn traced a finger along the scar on my head. I turned to the side, only to see a mirror staring back at me. Stupid scar. "I'm tired." Is all I said. "You're not going anywhere until--" Niall started. "Niall, shut up. Hannah, you can go to bed." Harry said.

*LOUIS'S POV*

"Niall, mate. You have to go easier on her! She probably would've told us if you weren't yelling at her." I said. "She needs to know that she can't just keep up this act all the time," Niall said, frustrated.

"Act... what... Niall, it's not an act. She's obviously been hurt, maybe more than once." Liam shook his head.

"Please, there's only so much that can happen in just thirteen years!" Niall scoffed. "Why are you being so insensitive?" Zayn tsked. "I'm not!" Niall yelled. "You are!" We all yelled back.

"It's not my fault if she can't freaking get it together!" He screamed. I heard a sound coming from the doorway. I turned around slowly... I already knew who would be there. She had tears streaming down her cheeks and into her open mouth.

"N-no, Hannah..." I said, trying to walk towards her. But every step I took foward, she took backward. Until she was up against the wall, that is. "Hannah, I didn't... I wasn't..." Niall walked towards her.

"No, don't even bother. Didn't know I was that much trouble for you guys," Hannah said quietly before dashing into her room. We all glared at Niall. "Way to go." Zayn said.

NEXT MORNING

*ZAYN'S POV*

"Hannah? Come on, we have breakfast." I said, knocking on the door slightly. "I'm not hungry." She said. I could tell by the tone in her voice that something was wrong. I mean, something besides the fact that Niall freaked out on her last night.