Not her

My heart still raced from being startled, and I clutched my chest, trying to regain my composure after the scare. Lucas was on his feet now, eyes wide with rage and his jaws clenched so hard that I thought they would crack any moment.

"Where the fuck have you been?" he asked again, much louder seeing as I did not answer the first time.

"You scared me, Lucas," I said, shaking my head, "what were you doing sitting in the dark?"

"Going crazy worrying about you that's what. But that does not answer my question," he growled, stalking closer to me, "where have you been all day?"

"It's my day off," I reminded him with a scowl, "surely I am allowed to go out. I do not own all the problems in the world."

He opened his mouth to speak, but paused as his eyes narrowed on the slits between my dress, barely covering my thighs, "What are you wearing?"

"It's called a mini dress," I said sweetly and for some reason did a taunting twirl, "like it?"

"Fuck no," he barked, like a child who just had his toy snatched.

"The kids are asleep, I presume," I quirked my brows.

"Right now, I cannot bring myself to give a fuck," he said harshly and reached out to grab my arm, yanking me closer. My skin felt like it was on fire almost immediately. "what is wrong with you Chris?"

"I decide to go out on my day off this once and you think something's wrong with me?" I tilted my head, feigning ignorance.

"You fucking know what I'm talking about," he yelled, "First you leave without telling me.."

"I told Mia," I interjected, but clamped my mouth shut after he gave me a sharp look.

"Then you refuse to pick up your damn phone all day,"

"I forgot it on my bed,"

He continued, ignoring my taunts, "and now you come home way past midnight, in a dress that does not do the least to even cover your ass,"

"Oh, I'm sorry sir, I did not realize I needed a dress code and a curfew," I retorted, twisting my arm free from his.

"Fuck would you stop calling me that?"

"I don't know what else to call you," I shrugged

"How about the name you were calling me right up until last night?"

"We do not share the same relationship we shared up until last night," I yelled back, swallowed hard at the reminder.

"We are not nearly done with our conversation last night,"

"Whatever Lucas," I said and brushed past him, "I already made it clear last night,"

He was on me so quickly I did not get a second to react or expect his move. I winced in pain as he pushed me against the wall, trapping me in place with his body. "Do not whatever me Chris," he wrapped his hands around me possessively, yanking me into him, "never give me that whatever bullshit."

I wanted more than anything to melt in his arms wrapped around me, and drown in the pool of his piercing gaze as he stared down at me. Even with the rage, they burned with, I could still see the fear. He had been worried about me and that would have been enough to melt my heart if I were not too pissed at our situation.

It was not something I could just overlook like a bad flaw.

He had crossed a line. One we could not erase and I could not let myself get past it no matter how hard I tried.