reminders

INCOMING CALL

karl j :)

ACCEPT      DECLINE

ACCEPT      DECLINE

God, it is way too early to deal with this right now. Guiltily, you take your phone in your hand and your finger hovers over the decline button. 

I can't be wasting time right now, I have a big opportunity today and I can't waste it because I did something stupid last night. 

But... I can't just leave him hanging like that. What does he have to say? Will it be about what happened or the audition stream? I wonder how he feels. Does he regret it? Was it all just a dream? 

You're violently ripped from your thoughts as your music turns on again, replacing the vibrations of your phone. Without another thought, you swipe your phone open and call him back. It doesn't even ring twice before he answers.

"Um, hey. Y/n?"

"Oh uh, hey Karl, what's up?"

"I just-" There's rustling on his side of the call and some mumbled voices. He must be busy. "Sorry, I'm at the warehouse, were getting ready for the stream, but I thought I'd give you a call, say goodmorning." 

There's something about his voice that sounds so strangely normal. Like last night never even happened. 

"Karl, it's like 4pm," you sigh into your phone. 

"Oh, um, sorry, I know," more rustling comes through and guilt pangs your chest. 

He was probably just trying not to make it awkward for today and I had to get pissed at nothing. Of course he cares and of course last night happened...god I really need this shower to wake me up. There's no way I'm going to survive this stream if I don't start waking up and preparing myself now. A-game.

"I'm sorry Karl, I'm just really tired and you interrupted my favorite song and a nice, cool shower, you know how I get," you chuckle into the phone and wait for a response. The only response you get is more rustling and mumbled voices, and the occasional sound of clattering and typing. 

 "Um, Karl?"

"I'm really sorry y/n, we're in the middle of setting up, what'd you say?" His voice sounds strained with stress and exhaustion. Your chest pangs again with a new wave of guilt. He didn't have the luxury of sleeping in or a break after the events of last night like you did.

"Just... take care of yourself dummy, okay? You know I worry about how hard you work, remember to drink water for me." You hear his soft giggle on the other line and feel your chest soften just a little as your shoulder finally relax.