"Yes. A lot of tunnels that are very long use these kind of things. They are not of any use at night except a bit of ventilation but it comes handy." He explained.

"Does this work as a crack in the wall? One strong enough blow and the tunnel would collapse?"

Azriel smiled, "You're very smart." She bowed dramatically. "If an enemy is following you or has found this tunnel, the slits also make it easier to make this entire thing collapse on top of them."

Arcane examined them closely, "Cracks would form so easily."

Azriel hummed and pulled her away from a cobweb. "Your dress, Arcane."

"Oh, right." She batted the spider away. "Look at you holding my dress." She teased. "What a gentleman."

"You almost slit my throat yesterday." He rolled his eyes and let go of the long sleeve that he was holding.

"I wasn't going to do it, you know that." She chuckled. Before he could proceed with his argument, she clasped her hands together, "Tell me another one of your interesting facts. What else makes me a whore?"

He chuckled and shook his head, "Nothing. But I can tell you that after three days of death, the juices in your stomach start to digest your own body."

"I'm going to take that you know this from personal experience."

"My job isn't an easy one."

"I'm sure it isn't." Arcane nodded. "But please don't keep dead bodies around for three days." She scrunched her nose.

"I won't." Azriel had to again hold her dress as she paid no attention to a huge bug.

He didn't make her have a pretend dinner but she did whine while he ate his pear and started a fire. "You left her behind. It's your fault!"

"No, it isn't." He arranged the twigs in the middle of the ground. "We were in a hurry. She can look after Nyx anyway."

"But I miss Sultana." Arcane pouted and looked away.

He sighed and rubbed his face, "Don't be like that. We will go back in two days. They'll take good care of her." He attempted to cheer her up.

"I know." She sighed in defeat. "I know they will. It's just that I'm not used to being without her for a long time."

She slumped by a wall and watched the fire crackle. Azriel gave her his jacket, "Go to sleep. I'll keep watch."

"No. You can sleep first. I'm not sleepy." She said without looking at him.

"There are nowhere for you to wash your dress." He said.

She cracked a smile. "I know. I don't want to. Just sleep. I'll wake you up when I'm sleepy."

He hesitated but tuned his back to her while sleeping. His wings were splayed on the floor by the fire and Arcane huddled into his jacket as the night grew colder.

He never truly slept, worry etching at the horizon of his mind. Finally, a few hours later, he got up. The fire was still crackling but Arcane was sitting motionless with her forehead resting on her knees.

"Hey." He shifted closer to her.

"Hi." She mumbled.

"I'm Azriel."

She puffed out a breath, "I'm your High Lady's sister, Azriel."

He clicked his tongue, "No. Tell me who you are."

She lifted her head and Azriel clenched his fists at the sight of the red around her eyes, "I'm Arcane."

"And how are you feeling Arcane?" He asked.

"I'm-" She shrugged. "-I feel empty." She admitted truthfully. "How do you feel?"

"I feel angry." He said. "Is that okay?"

"Of course." She smiled weakly. Then, her eyes went round and she fumbled around her dress. "Wait! I have something for you."

"Me?" He frowned. "What?"

"I was planning to give this to you the other day but now we are here." She searched around the small golden band around her waist.

"Here." She opened her palm in front of him. "I thought a lot but figured that I didn't know you enough to give a meaningful gift."

The armlet gleamed in the light from the fire. His initial were hanging from the side and cast small twinkling lights on the walls. It's slim golden ring curled into circles at the sides and the blue stones looked almost black.

"It's beautiful." He whispered as the dark blue of the stones cut through the darkness. "That's the colour of my siphons."

Arcane nodded somewhat proudly, "I thought it would look good. Even if it doesn't, you're not allowed to take it off."

Azriel smiled, "I won't." He pulled his shirt sleeve up to his shoulder and Arcane clamped the metal band around his muscular arm. She eyed the ink on his skin. "It looks good with that." She noted

He forced his smile to dim a bit but failed miserably, "Yes. Is that my initial?" He touched the small 'A'.

Arcane looked at it and back at him, "Is it? You tell me."

Puzzled by her answer, he asked another question, "Is this your apology for slapping me?"

She shook her head, "No." She clicked her tongue.

"Then why are you giving it to me now?" He frowned.

"Because I have nothing to cook for you."