Chapter 2

Repairing the pigsty was not the worse thing Azriel had done. Far from it, actually. The only thing that made him feel bad was the headache, the pain in his arm, the growling panther - Sultana, the mud, the pigs or former men (he could only assume what they had done to deserve a life like that), and the setting sun.

Basically everything.

Still, Azriel was stuck here and Arcane was not entirely wrong. He just wished she would take the money and let him go. His home needed him. Velaris could be in danger as he nailed another piece of wood into the fence.

When he was almost done, he wiped his brow and looked up. By this time, only the light from the house was present, the sun long gone. There was a lantern hanging where he worked and fireflies flooded into the garden and washed over the flower beds in a flurry of gold. He noticed some silvery twinkles here and there and only after looking very closely did he realise that they were butterflies. Silver butterflies who glittered under the moon.

If he could think about something other than the safety of his family, he would have wondered about those butterflies. They were breathtaking.

"Spymaster!" A feminine voice yelled. Arcane shone just like those butterflies. Her arms now bare and hair pinned up. Perhaps, ready to retire to bed. "How long is going to take? Sultana doesn't want you here. Don't complain to me if you lose an arm or leg."

He rolled his eyes and glared back at the black creature. A green emerald glistened from her forehead. He said, "A few more minutes. I'm not enjoying doing this, if that's any comfort to her."

"Cauldron, I hope it's not." She laughed mockingly and turned, disappearing inside her house.

When he was finally done, he kicked one of the small piglets aside and grumbled profanities under his breath before knocking at the door of the house. Arcane opened it, still wide awake. Her large eyes were more pronounced after the thick curtain of hair was removed from around her face.

"I, um, it's done." Azriel pointed at the pigsty.

Arcane pushed him aside and thrust her chin forward. "Sultana."

The large animal leaped and ran at full speed towards the wooden structure. He had barely opened his mouth out of shock before she slammed against the pigsty with full force.

"Stop! What are you doing?" He yelled. "I just built that!"

Sultana came back calmly. Licking her paw, she sat by Arcane who looked satisfied. "Perfect. Get out."

"Huh?" He frowned but she slammed the door shut in his face, leaving him standing out like an idiot. Then, once again, there was the same voice. The zap of air and he knew he had to leave quickly. Taking one hasty look at the closed door, he flapped his wings and took flight.

When he reached Velaris in the morning, the image of that bright garden was still pressed between his lashes. To his immense relief the city was unharmed. Cassian took one look at him and retreated two steps.

"No offence, Az. You look gross." Feyre scrunched her nose.

He rolled his eyes at both of them and shrugged off his weapons. "I was repairing a pigsty. Obviously I'm gross."

"What?" Cassian frowned. "A pigsty? Why?"

He shook his head in frustration, "Long story. Not important. A small accident."

"Are you okay?" Feyre said, concerned. Rhysand appeared from his study and almost flinched at the site of him.

"Yes. Stop acting like you've not seen me drenched in mud before." He glared his brothers.