chapter two|once here, next gone

Start from the beginning

As if something bad was about to happen.

❁ ❁ ❁

"Have you decided what you're going to order?" Easton glanced up at me from his menu. "I heard their steak is really good."

Pushing back his almost black hair, Easton leaned forward and grinned at me, the dimly lit candle shining the brown colour of his eyes.

"What?" I look at him with a suspicious smile.

"Nothing," he grins, "just looking at how beautiful you are."

My heart fluttered at his words and I moved the menu in front of my face to hide my creeping blush. Damn, this boy really did have a way with words, but there was still a bad tug at my chest.

"I'll take the lasagna," I change the subject. Easton nods and brings the menu back up to look at. Crossing my leg over the other, I shift uncomfortably in my seat.

Earlier today when Easton called to say that he'd be taking me out to dinner, I had been over the moon. Now, however, not so much.

What Easton failed to mention was where we'd be going and now, sitting in this high end restaurant with him in his black suit and tie, I felt out of place in my casual floral print dress. There weren't too many fancy restaurants in Lake Tahoe because most of it was tourist attraction for the local and traditional shops.

Of course, though, Easton had gone out of his way to find a luxurious one where they served food that I couldn't pronounce and appetizers that cost more than my pay grade.

Another disapproving look is sent my way from the two men dining across from us. With their wives next to them, looking between Easton and then me, I almost cowered away from their judge mental looks.

It was bad enough that I was way underdressed, but sitting in front of Easton Denver, world's top ten famous musicians just added the cherry to the top.

I hated to admit it, but my night with Olivia yesterday seemed much better and more of my comfort zone, rather than the dirty looks that kept being sent my way.

"So, did you get a call from Nancy yet?" I turn back to him. His eyes flit from wherever he had been looking and glances at me distractedly.

"Yeah, I actually did," he mumbles. A pin dropped in my stomach and I nodded my head to not show how disappointed I was.

The first time he had gotten the confirmation for his first tour from Nancy--his manager-- Easton called me right away. I could still remember to this day the way I heard the excitement bubbling in his voice when he jumped all around the room.

Now, it looked like he couldn't even be bothered to tell me.

"That's great," I inch a little enthusiasm into my voice. "Where are you off to next?"

After what felt like years, Easton finally looked back at me but I wish he didn't. Instead of seeing excitement or thrill in his eyes the way I used to, I saw guilt.

And it scared me.

I had never seen that guilt in his eyes before but now it was apparent.

"What's wrong?" I ask warily, reaching my hand over his. The pit feeling I had sensed this entire weekend was growing worse now and I was afraid that this night was about to get a whole lot more complicated.

My thoughts are right when he retreats his hand from mine and looks back up at me, his eyes scanning everywhere on my face except for meeting my own. A dreadful feeling settles in my stomach and I shift forward in my seat.