~ 8 ~

EURION COULD TELL THERE was something going on with Kit before they even reached the shores of Avalon. His glow had long since faded into the night, and she could see the sloppy pattern in his rowing. There was a red stain on his right shoulder where he'd been stabbed back at the village, but the bleeding was stopped an hour ago. After all the work he put it through, though,  she could see the shimmery blood seeping through in the dim light again. His other shoulder was dislocated earlier, and she cringed when she remembered how casually he'd popped it back into place. He was in no place to row them across the sea.

"Kit," she whispered. "Let me take a turn."

The prince grunted. "I'm okay, I promise."

Eurion rolled her eyes and jabbed two fingers into his shoulder that still had feeling. He cried out and dropped one side of his paddle.

"Shit, Eurion!" he exclaimed.

"You're hurting yourself. Both of your shoulders are messed up, and we need you strong. Come on," she urged.

It was clear he didn't want to, but eventually Kit gave in, passing Eurion the paddle like she wanted. She smiled innocently when he massaged the shoulder she'd touched, and returned to helping Quinn row the boat. She could see the land ahead, but it still felt like an eternity away, especially with the waves fighting against them.

By the time they slid up onto the sand, Eurion's arms ached. She could only imagine how Quinn felt, she'd only let Selene help her for a short distance before she insisted on taking the paddle back. She was worried, Eurion could tell, because Quinn only craved control when she feared something.

"You okay?" Eurion asked her, joining her side while Kit and Selene took up the lead. "You haven't said much this whole time."

"I feel guilty," she told her, much to Eurion's surprise. She didn't expect her to answer.

"What for?"

Quinn looked down. "I know he's not a good man, and I know he took you guys prisoner, but... Argerion. I feel bad for leaving him. As terrible as he is, he loves me. I'm his kid."

It wasn't something everyone knew, but Crane took Quinn under his wing when she was young. She was from Avalon, and he found her alone and scared when he'd lived there for a short time. The cold, detached Captain found a soft spot for her, and she looked up to him in return. Honestly, Eurion was surprised she would be the one to help them escape Crane's ship, considering her fierce loyalty to him.

As if she read her thoughts, Quinn continued. "He's changed recently. A bad change. I don't know why, I don't know what happened to him. But he's been cruel lately, and he hasn't taken care of me like he used to. The other day, he screamed at me, and I can't get it out of my head. I couldn't help but think it would be my fault if I didn't help you and you guys got hurt."

Eurion frowned. The back of her hand brushed against Quinn's, and she paused, contemplating, before she finally bit back the hesitation and clutched it, lacing their fingers together. Back before they found Chalice and they became something of a platonic soulmate to her, it was Quinn she spent her time thinking about. They'd never been quite as close as Eurion wanted, but now was a better time than any to get closer.

"Thank you," she told Quinn, trying not to notice the look she was giving her. "I don't know how we managed to get out of there at all, but it wouldn't have happened without you. Thank you."

"Of course."

The moment they found a secluded corner in the woods, the four of them got their much-needed rest. Kit insisted on staying awake, but Eurion wasn't surprised to see him out cold when she opened her eyes the next morning. Quinn was laying on her chest, but she was already awake. Selene stirred shortly after.